An Imaginary Life

The exactness of what he said I can't remember.

Something along the lines of a suggestion. (As if he were anyone to be making any that might make sense.)

"Get your head out of the books," he said. "Go out and live a life."

I should have said the first thing that came to mind... But I held the truth from tripping across my tongue.

Instead I replied, "Make believe people are nicer."

I saved him the reason behind my words. Things he might understand. Like make believe people don't insist you drink vodka. Or try to douse your reason with wine. Or leave you without a word after you've become used to having them around. Or pretend to be your friend when they've already proven that they're not.

Maybe my books are indeed the better place to be... It seems there isn't a man alive - at least not in my life - who knows how to be a man.

No comments:

 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs