Front to Back

The more I read them, the more I am convinced that magazines made for women aren't really made for them at all. I mean what woman in her right mind wants to be told in no uncertain terms that beauty can only be obtainable with the right foundation, the perfect shade of lipstick and the right clothes on the right sized body?

It's all ridiculous. Magazines like Cosmo that fill their pages with shortsighted articles meant to convince the women - ages 16 to 25 - of the world that what they really need to do is change everything they possibly can about themselves in order to live the ideal Sex in the City life, as it it were part of some coming of age manifest destiny.

When I was seventeen, Cosmo was my bible. In its pages, it told me everything I needed to do to attract the right sort of attention from the right sort of guy and then how to keep him interested once he'd been snagged. But what it didn't bother to tell me, or any of its readers for that matter, was that their recycled advice of manipulation, deceit and lies was no way to maintain, let alone start a healthy relationship with anyone.

Instead they wrote article after article of how best to please your man and become a mind reader all at the same time just by observing the shape of his lips. And we bought it up. Hook, line and sinker as we asked for more Kama Sutra, more boys behaving badly, and more stories telling us how girls just like us managed to achieve all their hopes and dreams simply by turning to page 147 to read the conclusion of the story started on page 92.

Ahhh ... Happily ever after.

But now that I'm thirty, I want a magazine that caters to me and not the ideal I should strive to be. I want a magazine that has more relevant articles than advertisements. One that gives sound advice without sounding like a bathroom discussion in-between class bells. One that tells me how best to make myself happy rather than how to please my lover beneath the sheets. One that is reliable, newsworthy, informative and (drum roll please) entertaining all at the same time.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

WHEN I WAS 10 AND 11 YRS OLD I COSMO WAS GREAT! THREE SISTERS AT HOME AND AN AMPLE SUPPLY OF READING MATERIAL FOR A YOUNG BOY. YOU MEAN THOSE GIRLS IN THERE ARENT REAL? KNOWING YOU AND THE ESSENCE OF THIRTY THAT YOU ARE, YOU SHOULD BE LOOKING AT READERS DIGEST OR GOOD HOUSE KEEPING, ALTHOUGH HUSTLER IS A GREAT READ!! SHALL I BRING SOME IN FOR YOU? M&M , NOT THE CANDY, NOT THE RAPPER. AND NO I DONT MELT IN YOUR HAND, I REALLY HAVE TO GET YOU DISC BACK TO YOU

Orbling said...

You could always try finding out for yourself what you want, without need to be informed by popular opinion...

KC said...

M & M ... Remind me to give you my copy of Cosmo tomorrow ... I'm sure you'll find an (in)appropriate use for it ... As for your other comments, not touching them. I know better. And what the hell do you mean by my essence of thirty? You need to kiss my ass for that remark.

Bren ... I don't think Dr. Phil would be my cup of tea either. Although we really need to do something about your lack of Tori knowledge. The other two mags you mentioned, I may need to get my hands on.

FAIM ... I think you're right. The only way I'd find the kind of magazine I'd want to read is to invent it myself.

Karl ... Popular opinion doesn't particularly inspire me to do great things, although it is nice to have a different view point from time to time. I guess that's why we have friends ...

:)

Orbling said...

My opinions are rarely popular, in any sense. ;)

You're always welcome to them however, as I appreciate yours. :)

KC said...

Sigh ... You do know a way to a girl's heart.

Never doubt the power of an open ear and open heart.

And productivity ... Lots and lots of productivity ... ;)

Orbling said...

Well I'm part way there then.

Not sure about productive, the only thing I've ever produced in quantity is gibberish.

KC said...

Have I mentioned I speak fluent gibberish?

KC said...

After a few drinks, most of that would actually make sense ... Scary thing is, I think it might make sense now.

:)

Anonymous said...

Fresh? whats that all about?
Brenda, i see stacey has done a poor job of educating you on Tori so that you will enjoy those fine seats. Shame Shame stacey! I would be happy to help. I think Brenda and I should sit together at the concert and Karen and Stacey can have the bad seats. i am still waiting for you to bring the mag in. then i will rtn your cd. oh by the brenda, nice pics you guys took with the digi!!

KC said...

Oh for God's sake! I looked at your underwear, wasn't that enough?

I tell you, some people just can't be content. As for the magazine it was in my desk drawer. Seeing how you go through everything else when you're in there without asking, I can't imagine why you didn't find it.

;)

Wait a minute ... Do you have another one of my CD's? Which one am I waiting to get back now?

Although I should say thanks for the Coldplay ... Thought lately it's made me want to find a very tall bridge and jump ... Those boys need to work on being a bit more upbeat.

As for Tori, three weeks today ... Woo Hoo! Very excited! But no, you're not sitting by Brenda at the concert.

Hope you're enjoying your day today ... I know I am.

:)

KC said...

I just realized ... You have my 50 Cent CD, don't you?

 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs