My Night Out With Harry

Some people will do anything to put on a costume. And I've learned that Harry Potter fans are no different when it comes to donning the frocks, the wigs, the glasses and the lightning bolts when in search of a good time.

The whole experience was like an after party that came before the big moment. The store packed full with people just waiting for the stroke of midnight and then that final minute that came afterwards while the registers switched over to a new day's business and children and adults alike counted down to the big moment ...

10, 9, 8 ... Went the count, the excitement building in the room. But I was too busy laughing to bother with the counting. Telling my sister Jo, who went with me to this auspicious occasion, that there was no way in hell I was counting down like a march hare to mating season. Nope. I wasn't going to do it.

And when the crowd hit zero, there were screams of delight and sounds of joy as people clapped and chanted Harry, Harry, Harry ... I'm telling you, it was very cult like. (Maybe the Pope had something with that little theory of his ... Kidding.) Being the smart ass that I am, I decided a little delayed reaction screaming on my part was in order and I did a little woo hoo a full minute after everyone else was done just to keep the spirit alive.

What can I say, I like being the center of attention? Kind of like a tension breaker. It just had to be done. Just like the comment I made to the four foot Hagrid that was running around the store in search of his friend Harry that bent people over clutching their guts as they laughed good naturedly, "Funny. I always thought he was much taller."

Many fits of giggles later, a sneak peek at Professor Snape, a moment with the sorting hat, and one very blonde lady with a very bad case of bad costume idea later, and yes, it really was that bad of a costume idea, we stood in something that appeared to consider itself a line and waited for our number to be called, which thankfully didn't take too long. Thankfully because I was starting to get tempted to don a pair of the free Harry glasses, stick a fake lightning bolt sticker to my forehead and plead with all my might, "Anything but Slytherin!"

5 comments:

Orbling said...

"something that appeared to consider itself a line" - ROFL

Whilst I love my fantasy books, I'd not even be caught dead at such an event. Not one for involving myself in spectacle, I try to pretend it doesn't happen.

That lady has done a good job though, bringing back the magic to peoples' lives.

KC said...

Trust me when I tell you that appearances can be deceiving ... There was nothing about that line that could actually pass the definition of being a line. Spectacles however happen all the time.

Ah well, at least there's enough magic to go around for everyone.

;)

Anonymous said...

I know all about you 'Potter people.'
I was telling my friend, she is a mother of two teenagers... not to push any tiny kids out of the way, whilst going for her copy.

M.

hehe.

KC said...

On my honor, I swear I didn't push any youngster out of the way ... Grownups however were fair game.

;)

Anonymous said...

too cute.

M.

 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs