Oh No She Didn't ... Oh Yes, She Did

KC may never know just how lucky she is to not be home tonight. Spending almost three hours in her room before coming up for air, I can honestly say that had she been home she would have known of my displeasure in a big and major way. As it is I'm quite positive that by the time Sunday rolls around, I will be calm enough to approach her, with an "I can't believe you did that! What were you thinking?" conversation.

My daughter is guilty as charged with no trial needed, though I can promise you that my victim impact statement will be somewhat lengthy as I list out my grievances one by one. Like the 10 year old photo album she tore apart, the bubblegum stuck to certain areas of the floor, the good copy paper that I use only for special projects scattered about the room and under the bed and filled with crayon drawn flowers, and to top it all off, the writing on the wall. Literally ...

And I can't believe my daughter, my precious little someone else must have done it cause I can't believe she doesn't know any better child that I gave birth to some 9 years ago have the temerity to write on her wall in NON-WASHABLE PEN!!!

I think I'm hyperventilating!

Her gorgeous, pretty watermelon pink bedroom with white country bed and princess canopy, marred by writing on the wall. Writing she tried to hide with a well placed shelf and her calendar stuck in with a tack as if I wasn't going to catch on ... Eventually.

Three garbage bags in and I had to stop. Had to get out of that room and had to walk away before I completely lost my cool. She wrote on the wall for goodness sake! She disfigured her room! And what's worse is now I'm going to have to break out the paint (smart girls always keep extra for touch up) and attempt to cover it all up with hopes that the ink won't bleed through.

In ten years I'm going to laugh about this. In ten years I'm really going to find this funny. In ten years I may even joke "Hey KC ... Remember when you?" But not now. Right now I'm one irritated Momma ...

Does anyone out there want to fund my get away from it all spa weekend? I could really use a break.

10 comments:

Orbling said...

The writing on the wall is normal enough for kids isn't it? God knows how many times my brother did that all over the house... I didn't, but I think I was just too lazy to bother. ;)

The bubblegum would've been annoying, that stuff is more trouble than it's worth.

Though I would've had to take a sedative of some kind to avoid exploding over the photo album issue. Photos are considered sacrosanct and utterly inviolate in my book - any attempt to harm a photo of any description, or an album, should result in serious repercussions... Can't believe she did that. Kids 'ey? ;)

Mind you...

If my mum came in to my room and threw anything away without my permission at that age, I would've exploded in to a blazing inferno...

Very little could annoy me more. So I'm not taking a bet on tomorrow's conflict. Divided loyalties. ;)

KC said...

Normal when they're five maybe, but totally unacceptable when they're nine and know better. Especially when they've been schooled on this before!

Bubblegum is normally not allowed in my house. I made that rule some years ago when I realized that her gum never made it to a trash can. Unfortunately her Dad must have snuck some into her Easter basket that he dropped off. Lord knows, I didn't supply it. I've got more sense than that.

As you may have guessed, it was the photo album that really burned me. It was something that was in a storage container kept on the high shelf of the closet. And it was something I was planning on giving to KC eventually. It was the only thing I kept to chronicle the relationship I had with her father ... Well, besides KC that is. (Everything else was booted to the curb with an all for a dollar yard sale.)

Kids ... (Sigh.)

I did warn KC however more than three weeks ago that she needed to get her room in order. I even suggested she spend a half hour to an hour every night, working on one little section at a time. Instead she chose to spend that time watching videos and picking through her penny collection.

And as far as I'm concerned once fair warning has been given, she really has no recourse to be upset with me now that I've taken it into my own hands.

If it makes you feel better, most of the things that have found their way to the trash bags really do belong there.

The rest I will place in a pile for her to go through to decide what to keep and what to recycle to good will.

Orbling said...

Ah.

She tore apart a photo album documenting her father's relationship with you. Is there a more important problem here.....

No matter how much warning I had, I never tidied it up, still maintained my anger if it was touched. Think my mum managed it once, though she was under constant attack throughout and for years after...

KC said...

We've had conversations over how she feels about being a child of "divorce" for years now.

I know it upsets her to have to grow up without her Dad in the same house, but it is also the only thing she has ever known. (He was gone by the time she turned 4 months old.)

We've had lots of talks about why Mom and Dad don't love each other, why we aren't together and why it will always be this way and never change. (As a child of divorce myself, I know that the biggest dream (myth) a kid can have is that of her parents getting back together and living a "normal" life.)

Still I know this doesn't make it any easier on her, especially now as she's getting older and realizing that most of her friends don't have to divide their time between their Mom and Dad.

But we do our best and we talk about it any time she feels she needs to talk about it. It's not something I sweep under the carpet and allow to fester ...

Although it breaks my heart to know that it is a pain I can't take away for her.

Orbling said...

Well as you say, it's a constant issue, and one that can not be repaired to any extent...

How is her relationship with her father?

I'd probably ask her what the idea was behind the photo album destruction nevertheless...

I'm eternally thankful that I grew up in a stable, or should I say lucky, home.

It's unfortunate.

KC said...

He's a good Dad and she loves him though I know she would rather have him around more often than she actually sees him.

I've always encouraged her to have a close relationship with her Dad ... I think it's important that she always has two parents to talk to and not just one.

As for asking the why's ... I plan on doing so, but I have a feeling it's not an answer she's going to be able to express well. Much like me, when she's upset about something, she gets to the point where she cannot speak through the tears.

Growing up is hard no matter what, though I've long since lost my desire for my parents to get back together ... I'm just hoping not to repeat their third time around is a charm.

KC said...

Borken glass huh ...

I've been worried about that big tree in the driveway and my car ... What is up with the weather today? You should hear my wind chimes banging together!

Signing off and calling. (You should come over and play.)

Orbling said...

Both parents are highly important, it's good that she still sees him regularly.

I don't envy having to go through conversations like that. The thought of my child in tears almost brings me to tears, sitting with them whilst trying to do such things would no doubt have me in floods. Oh well.

Whenever it is windy I panic about all the trees, keep checking to make sure they're alright and they come to the forefront of the prayers...

Wind can be blooming dangerous.

KC said...

When you're a parent you want to give your child a life of perfection and yet as we all know, perfection doesn't exist.

You've got to take the good with the bad and sometimes settle for the inbetween and make the most of it.

KC and I do the best we can, we've got our good days, our great days, our maybe not so hot days and the kind of days that make you want to scream at the world until you can't even hear yourself think anymore.

And yet, that is the true beauty of it ... She is my rock and I am her strength.

Orbling said...

So great is your bond that you are a part of each other.

Truly beautiful only begins to cover it. :)

 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs