But my needs do not reduce. If anything I find myself needing more. Much like the captain of my own small ship scanning the darkness hoping to find a beacons welcoming light and a safe harbor to sail into. But here I am adrift despite floating on a calm, cold sea and I can see for miles. But the everything of what I see is the everything of what I've already known, and my progress is impeded.

There is a distance behind me which can be measured, a sequence of events that brought me to this moment here. A woman alone save for her sleeping daughter upstairs in bed, the birds chattering away in the corner of the room and two black cats sitting patiently by my side waiting for the lights to die so they can follow me upstairs into the darkness.

My voice grows tired of saying nothing important, allowed only to offer up the small pleasantries of life. Fearful to make a fuss less someone stand as judge and jury on their own and accuse me of being - for lack of a better word - overly dramatic, one who seeks false attention for the purpose of rallying a group of supporters around her. This is not my intent.

I am rallying myself to do what needs to be done. To seek guidance from those much wiser than myself and my years of talking to walls with no hopes of being heard. I must kill this silence in me before this silence can do more to tear me apart. Bravely walking to a new future where ghosts of the past won't be allowed to continue their hauntings. And I must be uncomfortable, far outside my comfort zone to accomplish my task. For if I must trade one mask for another, I choose to put my brave face on.

6 comments:

Orbling said...

Beautiful.

Sad, lonely, hopeful, and beautiful.

Only you may judge yourself.

The darkness may hear you, but it will not heed you. Drop your fear my dear, and look to the light.

KC said...

I almost didn't post this last night. After I was finished writing, and I will admit there were tears involved with this entry, I didn't know if I was ready to let this be read by the outside world.

The picture is indeed a rendition of Ophelia as depicted by Arthur Hughes, c. 1851-53. The lettering on the frame quotes Gertrude's description of Ophelia's fate in Hamlet Act IV, Scene 7, beginning "There is a willow grows aslant a brook..."

I chose Ophelia for the very reason you mentioned as she is the loss of innocence personified and the hopelessness that comes after.

Fear to me is the thing that stops you. It's the image in your mind that you see and feel when it comes creeping up behind you to remind you that you are afraid.

Fear takes away your confidence, convinces you that you can't trust yourself, your judgment, your decisions. It tells you that you can't take chances, can't go it alone, can't try new things ... It is a grocery list of fears.

Over the years, I've taught myself silence. When I hurt I learned to keep it to myself, when someone hurt me I found a way to say it was my fault ... I should have known better. I should have never been where I was. I should have, I could have, I didn't do enough ... This is my punishment.

I am looking to that light, seeking sound over silence in a state of transition. It all begins now, it's time to start anew.

Your comments have proven that it can be done and for that I owe you my heartfelt thanks.

Coyote Girl said...

In the words of Lucille Clifton -

there is a girl inside
she is randy as a wolf
she will not walk away
and leave these bones
to an old woman.

she is a green tree
in a forest of kindling
she is a green girl
in a used poet.

she has waited
patient as a nun
for the second coming
when she can break through gray hairs into blossom.

and her lovers will harvest honey and thyme
and the woods will be wild
with the damn wonder of it.




Perhaps it is time to break through and break out.....I know a lot of people have your back...myself included

You must do the very thing that you think you cannot do....can't remember who to attribute that quote to - perhaps Eleanor Roosevelt, but I'm not sure.

KC said...

I believe you are correct in your guess of Eleanor Roosevelt, at least that is what I told Brenda as she read me your comment (before you asked that question) over the phone ...

You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You must do the thing which you think you cannot do. - Eleanor Roosevelt

And another favorite ...

I wanted a perfect ending. Now I've learned, the hard way, that some poems don't rhyme, and some stories don't have a clear beginning, middle, and end. Life is about not knowing, having to change, taking the moment and making the best of it without knowing what's going to happen next. - Gilda Radner

Orbling said...

Well, the words of the prophets are written on the subway walls... and now, it seems, on these logs... ;)

Fear will stop you...

I've always known that as "will", not "may", for myself at least... perhaps it can alter.

A green tree and a green girl, what on this great green planet could be better than that...

KC said...

At the moment, I'm voting for sleep. As in going back to ...

More comments to come when I'm conscious ...

 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs