You've Got To Save the Music

Oh my goodness, I am far too tired to even think about going to work today and though the temptation is there to make a simple little phone call and fake cough my way into a day of nap and play, no can do ...

Playing hookey on a Thursday is a stupid move and one better planned for a Friday or a Monday when one can enjoy a three day weekend. Which is why I'm building up my strength to get off the couch, out from under the blanket and into the shower. A nice deliciously hot steamy shower. Now if I could only figure out how to make my hot water last longer than seven minutes, that would be the trick.

I have a long list of things to do today, one being running to the bank at lunch, calling my older sister to inquire how my nephews fight against city hall went last night and if necessary, organize a peaceful sit in demonstration.

It seems that there are people in this world who think sitting on the school board makes them God ... And in the case of my nephews school, they are proposing to completely discontinue both the art and the music programs at his school in order to afford a super duper sports complex. Needless to say they've managed to get many parents (and Aunts) up in arms.

Armed with signs my sister made last night, as well as a choral presentation performed in front of the board, my nephew secured over 500 signatures to protest such an action as well as taking it upon himself to call the newspaper and a local television station to report the (proposed) injustice of it all. I couldn't have been prouder ... My nephew (sniffle) has turned into an activist.

And I support him a hundred percent. Music and art are not disposable programs and no less important than English, math and science. As an ex-music major who was once heavily involved in:

Concert Band ... Second Chair Flute (Damn you Sarah D. for making it impossible to steal your chair!)
Marching Band (Drum Major Senior Year)
Chorus
Girls Ensemble
Swing Choir
Drama Club
and the occasional singing in public bathrooms to sample the acoustics ...


I can tell you that my school years would have been very empty without my involvement in the arts. And though I didn't move on into the music field there are plenty of people who did and have realized their artistic goals. And so I say to anyone who doesn't believe that art and music in a schools curriculum is important, "If you take them away, you take away dreams ..."

(Updates to follow. As for now, I'm late for the shower!)

13 comments:

KC said...

Are you kidding? The acoutsices in there are great! ;)

I totally kick ass with renditions of Les Miserable, Phantom of the Opera, Wicked, Chorus Line, Tori Amos (of course) and anything by Barbara Streisand ...

Did I mention how much my neighbors just *love* me?

KC said...

Now if I could spell check prior to hitting the post button ...

Anonymous said...

I love musicals. And, I also like Tori Amos a lot, though I prefer her early albums to her newer stuff.
As for your spelling... How's my self-esteem? At first, I thought you were making fun of me for spelling something wrong in MY post.

Orbling said...

I have always taken it as a golden rule of the universe that hot water never lasts long enough, no matter where you are. I think this is due to the fact that the hot water running out is the sole reason to leave a shower...

You singing in the steamy shower. Right, better not think of that further. :$

Shutting down the arts programmes to fund a sports complex... :@

Some people are so dumb. Where would be without the arts? Bored at the very least, most probably killing each other, or still walking around on all fours (you can see the jock reference their).

I wouldn't be without music, so much so that I've always said I'd prefer to lose my sight than my hearing. Neither would be pleasent, but I'd rather throw in the towel than go without music forever more...

Very proud of him (and you), for standing up to the fools.

KC said...

I think her new stuff tends to grow on you when you listen to it long enough ... Although there are times when I wish she would put out another album of just her and her piano.

As for picking on your spelling, you can trust a girl who misuses her punctuations left and right not to point out anyone else's flaws ... I won't tell if you won't.

Orbling ... You couldn't have said it better. There must be a secret society of shower heads somewhere planning their evil takeover of the world's supply of hot water. Those damn bastards! When I find them I may just have to ... Seriously what could I do?

Somehow if you picture me singing The Rainbow Connection in the shower complete with a shower cap on - as I love the sound of water hitting crunchy plastic - you should be able to scare yourself right out of thinking altogether.

More to say, but my medication is finally taking effect and I'm getting sle ep ........... y.

zzzzzzzzzzzz

Orbling said...

The only solution I've seen, is to get a decent electric power shower - that can supply hot water for as long as you can afford it.

Though that uses a tremendous amount of electric, which is bad for the environment as much as your wallet. In my house I'd have to get the whole place rewired to support a 9kW power shower, that's like 45 amps! LOL - Not convinced I like the idea of that much power connected to my water supply. :S

And I said I was trying not to think about that! I am afflicted by maleness...

KC said...

Definately can't afford the whole electric shower thing ... It appears I'm going to have to suffer with my no longer than 7 minutes of hot water shower. Which as you said earlier is probably a good thing as I'd never get out of it if it lasted forever ...

Can't say I find the affliction of maleness to be a bad thing ... And yet, I can't remember what we were talking about to bring it on ...

Why is there so many songs about rainbows and what's on the other side?

KC said...

Yeah ... And I know the is should be are on the lyric thing, but I'm sick so everyone just take a step back and relax ... Or I'll cough on you.

:)

KC said...

Hey Jupiter ... Always one of my favorite songs, right along with Northern Lad.

It's so nice to know there are other people out there who enjoy the music. Most of the time, no one can relate to what I'm talking about when it comes to Tori ...

Damn closed minds ...

Orbling said...

As I was explaining to my parents a few days ago, rainbows are in fact circular - which explains why people never seem to get to the end of them. Even better metaphor for our dreams I suppose - unobtainable...

I've just bought a rainbow maker for my bedroom. :)

KC said...

Unobtainable ... Such an unfortunate word.

I think I'll keep chasing the rainbow's end.

Orbling said...

Well, I was always told that there was only a pot of gold at the end of it - worthless in my eyes.

Wealth is something I'll never chase.

I think I'll just appreciate them from afar. Rainbows were not meant for the likes of me...

KC said...

A pot of gold might make life easier but it wouldn't buy my dreams ...

Rainbows are for everyone, whether they wish to follow them to the end or not.

 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs