Saturday Morning Observations

Woke up this morning to the sound of ... nothing. Instead of hearing my voice when I said good morning to the cats, all that came out was a dry croak. This is far more torture than I can take. Take away easy breathing, take away a nose not filled with all sorts of nefarious and offending slimy things, take away my right to swallow without pain, but for the love of monkies, don't take away my right to talk, and talk, and talk some more ... That's just cruel.

I'd also like to point out that had today been any other day save for Saturday, I would still be pleasantly sleeping upstairs in bed. But once again my body clock has let me down. Yesterday I shut the alarm off in my sleep and was five minutes late for work. Today I wake up at five a.m. and can't get back to sleep. I am convinced. There is no justice in this world.

I suppose this is my punishment for putting the small yellow kick me sign on Slug at work yesterday. (When it comes to resisting the temptation to act like a five year old, there are some days when I cave in to the pressure.) But really, who'd have thought he wouldn't have noticed the post it note sitting sticky side up on his chair before sitting down ... Perhaps he should work on his powers of observation.

As for me, I almost laughed so hard when I noticed my clever little plan had worked that I almost fell out of my chair with the force of it all. Which of course made him ask me exactly what it is that I was hooting and hollering about. Have I ever mentioned that I can't lie worth a damn? Seriously ask me anything ... If I smile like a chesire cat and my eyebrows are suddenly higher than my hairline, I'm so not telling anything even remotely close to resembling the truth. While it was a blessing for my Mother as I was growing up to know of this little Achilles Heel of mine, it can really ruin a joke at times.

In other news, I had a horrid close call this morning, I won't tell you the how's and the where's as I've done enough damage to certain people and their afflictions to maleness but I was just standing there - rinsing - when I looked over to my left and "Ahhhhhhhhhhhh" there was this big, round, thick spider with very long spidery legs. Short of not screaming since I can't speak, my muffled cry immediately set me into action and shortened the length of that - ommitted word - faster than running out of hot water or someone flushing the toilet.

However having seen him - all spiders are male you know - his spidey senses should have been telling him to make a run for it. (For those more sensitive readers, you may not want to read further.) So there I was thinking, "There is no way in hell I'm going to share my omitted word with you. Not a chance!" With a soapy washcloth in my hand, and Tavi promising to finish the job should I fail, I scooped him out, hand extended as far away from myself as possible and dumped him uncerimoniously in the toilet. "See what comes from not heeding house rules," I said as I watched him spin faster and faster until he was quite gone. "You stay outside you live, you come inside you die. It's as easy as that."

8 comments:

Orbling said...

Oh you cruel woman you!

Poor spidey...

I nearly died the other day when getting a spider out of the bath. He was too big to do by hand, so I was using a big glass, but the silly thing kept slipping down and it lost part of it's leg whilst struggling. I felt so sick with myself I could've chopped my own leg off. Can't stand injuring life.

Yeah I know, I'm lame.

Not being able to lie is a gift, it means you won't learn to use it much and thus remain largely truthful and honest - a truly beautiful quality in anyone.

Though it doesn't seem to have stopped you becoming a little devil. ;)

Poor Slug. Though I'll admit, I would've laughed. LOL

I can't stand losing my voice, I'm always trying to speak and failing and constantly being surprised and annoyed about it. Much like forgetting to put your watch on before you go out...

KC said...

I can live with a lot of things, but not spiders. I'm very territorial ... He invaded my space and wham ... At least it was over quickly. (Sorry about that.)

My Mother certainly got both sides of the coin. One daughter who could lie like a pro and the other who failed miserably each time she tried.

I have a fair amount of mischief in me ... Though sooner or later my laughter always gives me away.

I'm not a big fan of losing my voice - it is back by the way - though I must say, I never wear a watch of any kind.

To quote the song you sent me, "I have no thought of time."

Orbling said...

I think my mischief went with my lying when I was still in single figures, such a tearaway I was... :$

Time is my nemesis, of all things I hate it most, for it is the great destroyer. Technically it's also the great creator, but personally I wish it'd get things sorted then stop doing either.. ;)

Can't function correctly without a watch on, if I've not got it on I check my wrist more often than if I do. At least these days we have mobiles, which have clocks, so at least you can find out the time still. LOL, without moving my head at all, I can currently see 5 time pieces, and there are 3 others just in this room... LOL


Old Man Time is a rare old man
For a young man he'll ever remain.
With his long grey beard and his clothes so plain,
Oh, Old Man Time is his name.
As one flower dies, the old man he cries,
The young man he plants the seeds again.
With a careful hand, he tends the sand,
Oh, Old Man Time is his name.

This old man has an hourglass,
For every soul on the land.
Oh, Old Man Time, I have seen mine,
It's the one with the fastest sand.
No sooner is it turned,
back through the glass it's churned,
I'm wishing I could have each hour again.
With a careful hand, he tends the sand,
Oh, Old Man Time is his name.

To me, Old Man, your time is rare.
Did God not give you all my sand?
Or maybe mine I had to share,
Or is there some left in your hand?
They tell me time is gold, well maybe it's been sold.
Or was it simply washed away in rain?
With a careful hand, he tends the sand,
Oh, Old Man Time is his name.

If I brought him a sack,
Do you think he'd put some back?
I know one day across my path he'll come,
But as for now, I can't say how,
I know the old man's work is far from done.
For, Old Man Time has just begun.


-- Old Man Time, Kate Rusby

KC said...

I don't think my mobile would help me out much telling the time ... Every time I go to turn the darn thing on it says low battery and shuts itself off ...

So if anyone out there happens to know where I've mislaid my charger please email me posthaste.

One question though ... Do you have the kind of clocks that chime, and if they do, do they all go off at the same time?

Orbling said...

LOL, nope, no chiming - though I have so many friends with the old grandfather clocks that chime every 15 minutes.

I sleep too lightly to have chimes going off, I wake instantly if anything unusual happens. In fact if you hear an animal in distress at night near here, then you can bet a poorly attired version of me will be hanging out of the window trying to work out what's wrong. :)

Unless it's mating hedgehogs, then I'll be buried under all pillows and soft toys I can find.

KC said...

Can't say as I know what a mating hedgehog sounds like ...

However if it's a scarey noise, I'd think I'd bury myself under warm and fluffy things too.

Orbling said...

It's not so much scary, as ridiculously, incomprehensibly, LOUD...

Must be all the spikes.

I love hedgehogs with a passion, but I wish they wouldn't do that near me when I want to sleep. First time I experienced it was on the night before my final a-level further pure exam... Hardest exam of my life to that point, and I get to stay up all night listening to hedgehogs doing it at a 120dB... LOL

The foxes make not dissimilar noises when they are looking for a mate. LOL, a pair of foxes got "stuck together" once in my back garden, that was hilarious...

KC said...

I'm quite sure I would be sticking my head out the window and yelling at them to keep it down ...

Geesh ...

 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs