Let the Healing Begin

It's hard to think of anything else when your teeth hurt and for the past few days, though the pain has been gnawing away at me for weeks, I have been suffering - because no other word aptly explains how horrid this has been - the most agonizing tooth pain ever.

Last night I couldn't fall asleep. I tried everything I could think of. Every position I could possible fall asleep in. Cold compresses. Hot compresses. Brushing my teeth. Holding my hand against my cheek. Watching QVC. (Hey. Never rule out boredom.) Until finally, a little after four this morning, my body finally shut itself down and allowed me two hours of sleep before my dratted alarm went off.

My appointment at 12:30, I spent most of the morning in my office in a most unnaturally quiet state. A sure sign I'm not feeling well at all when my mouth isn't moving a mile a minute. Pretty much ignoring the general chatter, I focused on taking the morning second by second, minute by minute, hour by hour, phone call by phone call. Not an easy task when you're tooth is throbbing to the point that your ear feels like it's going to start gushing blood at any moment. Talk about good times ...

Anyhoo I didn't expect much of anything today other than a preliminary appointment. You know, the appointment before the actual appointment sort of thing. However Dr. K. - who I will now say is my absolute hero - took one look at my mouth, one look at my x-ray and said in no uncertain terms that he was going to take care of me today. Swear to God, if there hadn't been a ring on his finger, I would have gotten down on one knee and sworn eternal love to him.

That was until I saw the tool cart. Then my nerves returned and I was a quivering mess of fear.

"How bad is this going to hurt?" I asked while trying to appear calm and collected.

"No worse than getting a cavity taken care of." I pretended to be reassured. She saw right through me. "Don't worry. You're going to feel so much better by the time this is over." I held onto my doubts.

Clutching the hand rest as Dr. K. inserted the needle to numb my mouth, I was hard pressed to keep from smiling as my eyes peered into his, optical enhancements and all.

And then it began ... And just to quote Dr. K. "How on earth did you manage to handle the pain for so long? Your tooth is completely inflamed." See, I told you all it hurt!

Rather than go through the entire process of the much aligned ROOT CANAL I will end by saying that is was far less painful than having a tooth extracted. Way less. And on the bright side, tonight is the very first night where I actually feel like me again! The excitement!

8 comments:

Orbling said...

Well at least the root is gone, and that tooth's days of making your life a misery are over. :)

There is no pain where there is no feeling after all.

I once had a tooth removed rather than have a root canal on it - as my mum said that removals where better.... Her teeth obviously just fall out, mine have 1 1/2" roots and have to be drilled in half, and then the gum cut and drilled further. Then you have to have your gums stiched up, I couldn't eat for 10 days afterwards! Think I'll opt for root canal next time...

What I don't understand is why your alarm went off so early if your appointment was at 12:30????? Please please take time off when you're in so much pain, don't want you martyring yourself. :S

Very glad you're better, hope it's an age or longer before you get any more trouble.

KC said...

Wild turkey is a bit strong for me, I think I'll just rely on the darvacet for another day ...

I'd opt for a RC over an extraction any day ... Remember "The Shard"!

As for the alarm going off, I still had to go to work. I did however take the afternoon off after the RC and took a much deserved nap.

Orbling said...

The thing about extractions versus capping is a price difference, the latter being about 10 times the price. Think they wanted to charge me like $400 for a cap, this was while I was a student, so no cap, nice just having it gone in a way. Teeth are useful but annoying when flawed.

"had to go" - I'm sure you had justification to stay off. :S

KC said...

Justification yes ... But my alloted sick time is beginning to dwindle in its numbers ...

Must make sure I've plenty saved up for when I might really, really need them.

The whole experience wasn't a walk in the park, but I fared far better with it than I did with my extraction.

Though my wallet hurts.

Orbling said...

Bet it does. :S

Still don't get this "alloted" business. How on earth can you have a maximum time you can be sick for? Ailments don't work that way. :S

KC said...

Ailments don't work that way at all. Despite that, I've only so many sick days accrued. So once I've used them, any sick days I take after will be unpaid. It's the unpaid part I try to avoid.

Orbling said...

Personally, I'd say unpaid is better than working ill. However, can't you get some sort of insurance to cover sick pay?

Think I might start sending letters to your government regarding the benefits of a welfare state.

KC said...

Send away ... I doubt that they're listening though.

 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs