Singing Down the Night

I've got my headphones on listening to Tori Amos, and it should come as no surprise that I can't think of a thing to write. Not really a mind blowing concept since singing along to the lyrics doesn't exactly inspire me to think for myself ...

At the moment, one of my favorites (and the only one from this CD that might actually get airplay on regular radio, Sleeps With Butterflies) is playing and of course, I've just got to sing.

You say the word
you know I will find you
Or if you need some time
I don’t mind
I don’t hold on
to the tail of your kite
I’m not like the girls that you’ve known
But I believe I’m worth coming home to
Kiss away night
This girl only sleeps with Butterflies
with Butterflies
so go on and fly then
boy


The fact that my front door is standing wide open and both my living room windows are presently up doesn't bother me a bit. My neighbors have heard and seen much worse to let a little singing after ten even begin to bother them. In fact, they're quite used to hearing odd fragments of this and that at odd hours of the day. I won't however go out on a limb and say they always enjoy it ...

with the gales
my little boat was tossed
how was I to know
that you’d sent her
with a lantern
to bring me in

“Are you positive this is a friend?”
the captain grimaced,
“Those are cliffs of rock ahead
if I’m not mistaken.”


Listening to music is actually a great way to wind down the night. To find that inner sanctum where all you have to do is sit back, relax and let the music take over. No thinking required, unless you want to that is. And at the moment, I don't want to. Mental time outs are more my thing lately.

Lately you’ve been on my mind
You showed me the rope
ropes to climb
over mountains
and to pull myself
out of a landslide
of a landslide

2 comments:

Orbling said...

Difficult to switch the mind off, not something I usually consider possible. Especially with a song like that, the lyrics are pleasently clever. :)

Rarely do I listen to music immediately before bed, as the songs would get caught and I'd have to forget sleep. ;)

Mmm, Butterflies. My mum and I often do butterfly surveys through the woods.

Anonymous said...

Tori kicks ass!

M.

She does however, make me want to jump off a cliff, so I have to keep her to a minumum.

Cheer up girl!

 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs