The Color of Greed

When you think ballet recital you picture little girls in pink tutus stumbling across the stage, their little feet trying to move in motion with the music, as you, the proud parent, wait with roses in the wings. Watching patiently from your seat, fingers crossed that your daughter, despite her inherited lack of grace, will manage to get through the routine without actually having to break a leg.

It's camera flashes, camcorders, and grandparents galore dressed in Sunday best, all there to witness the moment when your little girl finally gets her moment in the spotlight.

But at our dance school, worshiper of the almighty dollar, things are a bit different for KC's upcoming recital. With two recitals on two different nights, I had to dig deep into the family fortune in order to pay for the first seven tickets at five dollars a pop. Wonderful I thought to myself, forking over the cash to the dance rep, all the while holding my tongue so as not to tell him that the whole paying for tickets in addition to monthly tuition was complete bullshit.

This is what I've figured, which has me regretting not going into the dancing business, despite my two left feet.

Cost of each class per week .... $30.00 ( x two) = $60.00 (x 9 months) = 540.00
Cost of dance clothing/shoes ... $120.00
Cost of costumes for recital ... $55.00 each (x two) = $110.00
Cost of additional items needed for recital ... 50.00
Cost of tickets for recital ... $5.00 each (x as many people in my family who are willing to fork over that kind of money for a junior performance.)

Actual cost of ticket for one person minus the five dollar cover charge ... $820.00.

I will pick my jaw off the floor now. Nough said.

No comments:

 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs