Coming In From the Cold

It didn't matter that it was raining. Didn't matter that thunder was rumbling right over my head with lightning flashing across the sky. I knew before this weekend was out, I'd end up there eventually.

The rain was cold, dripping from my hair down onto my face. I walked quickly across the grass, immediately regretting my earlier choice of sandals, as I made my way to the familiar headstone flanked by two small evergreens.

"Hello Nannie." I said, bending down to press my hand against the cold concrete where her name was etched. "I can't stay long today. I just came to say hello. Well, more than that really. I need your help again ..." I paused, wiping the rain from my eyes, noticing the tender buds of last years roses coming back to life. "That favor I asked you for in January, you know the one ... Well, I'm not so sure about it anymore. I need you to tell me what to do now. Tell me if I'm doing something wrong, or maybe just remind me of who I am and what I'm worth, cause I just don't know anymore."

I sat there silent for a moment, watching the cars on the Thruway whizzing by and knew I must look crazy. A woman, alone in a cemetery, in the middle of a torrential downpour, talking to a grave.

"I've got to go now Grams," I said to the headstone, "Tell Grandpa I didn't mean to ignore him, I just needed to talk to you today ... I'm sure he'll forgive the girl talk." Touching my fingers to my lips, I brushed my hands across the stone to say goodbye. "I miss you Nannie. A bushel and a peck."

No comments:

 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs