My Last Night Home ...

Kiss today goodbye.
And point me towards tomorrow.
We did what we had to do ...


For nine years this house, my home, has served me well. I've laughed here. Cried here. Been my worst and my best here. But soon, like the rooms that already stand empty and waiting for someone else to arrive, I will be just another memory here, an echo sounding off of bare walls.

And these walls won't remember me. Soon they'll be decorated with someone else's things. And people I don't know will use my key to call this place home. And they will laugh here. And they will cry here. And they won't know how I spent my last night here. One part of me very happy to begin somewhere new, and the other half of me wanting to cling to what I know. The comfort that is home.

They won't know that I spent my last night sitting on the floor surrounded by candlelight. Or how I listened to my favorite Joni Mitchell song and didn't bother to wipe away my tears as they rolled down my cheeks. They won't know how red and swollen my eyes were, or the headache that resulted from all those tears. And they won't know that had I been able to find the aspirin packed away in some box, somewhere, my headache would have been gone long before I went to bed, to sleep one last time in this house that I've called home.

And they won't get sentimental over trees in the front yard. And they won't always begin their conversations with remember when ... And they'll start making their own memories from the very first time they walk in the front door. When they open the kitchen cabinets to put their dishes away. They'll barely spare us a thought. Perhaps one to remark about how clean the place was when I left, or perhaps comment on the morning glory vines that I'll leave growing wild on the back porch. Perhaps then, they will take a moment and remember that someone lived here before, and was honored to have called it home.

7 comments:

Coyote Girl said...

Endings and beginnings - the stuff that life is made of.

And on the practical side - it there a phone number you wish to send to YM for your new home?

Coyote Girl said...

Brenda - appreciate the live update. I think you missed your calling - "Reporter Gal". Thank you for helping Stacey with the move - (a real friend helps you move!)
Is she going to put her leg up and ice it or will she ignore it and cause further pain? I'm betting on the later...

KC said...

You couldn't stop at my GD toaster over ... You had to throw Kate's full size pillows out too!

I woke up at three this morning, wondering where they were and why I haven't seen them, when I realized what you must have done.

You owe me two freaking pillows!

On the latter note ... My body feels like it was done in by a big old mack truck ... But it was nothing that a little darvacet last night couldn't cure ...

I'm working on three Tylenol now so things should be improving in an hour or two ... Until then, ouch, ouch, ouch ...

I've got a bedroom that needs situating ... Must go.

TammyJ said...

Stacey.. good luck on the move.. I am sure you will come to love your new place too.. endings are hard.. but the adventure of a new beginning is something all of us need from time to time..

Anonymous said...

Wishing you the best - dsantario.

KC said...

3 days later and all I can say is that I still hurt like hell ...

;)

Coyote Girl said...

Where oh where has my little blogger gone? Where or where can she be? Has this blogger nothing left to say? I don't believe that for a minute...Please write - we miss you.

 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs