Regurgitation

I am surrounded by the things I cannot see, vulnerable to these things I do not know, shamed by this new position of weakness; a supplicant at your feet ready to do your bidding should you call and deem me worthy of response.
And I wait.
Wait until I grow weary from the waiting, wait until I feel the knife cutting softly at my throat, this slow death you have subjected me to. You have done me no kindness letting your ghost linger with me this long just to tease me with what I cannot have…
I never imagined you to be so cruel, so without a heart that you would continue to hold mine hostage. A girl like me should be able to go on without a heart, should be able to live with intangible things; should not waste her time to think, to speak, to write out the ridiculous and leave it here, a backwards message forwarding itself through time.
Do you not hear me asking something from you? Do you not know these questions, this anger, these tears; my frustration is all directed pointedly at you? Did you believe these words to be random, these sentences just vertical lines on a page? Did you fail to recognize how carefully they have all been chosen?
They are here at my whim, but they appeal to your mercy that your silence so far has not sufficed, you who speak to me in riddles and expect me to fully understand your rhymes. You who speak to me in silence, in conversations that play themselves like a record repeating itself note for note, that do not match the man you have decided to become. That man isn't worthy of my regard or my regret though I miss the man who I regret I've lost.
I have gone on too long about this. I had thought myself finished on this subject; on things I couldn't change. But I find it hard to put this down, to walk away and leave all of this as unfinished as it is. You have changed me from woman to beggar with palms held up open in the air. You have taken the key to my defense and left me unlocked, susceptible to any random passerby and I cannot manage the gate to get it shut.
How can I excuse myself for needing to know these things from you, for being so needy that I cannot live without these answers so long as there is a chance that I might know? How can I excuse myself to not need anything more from you that you have already proven you are unwilling and unable to give?
How is it that I can ask?
How is it that you are able to ignore?

No comments:

 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs