Fiction Speaking Fiction


"Where to?"

"Anywhere," I sighed slumping back against the seat. "Pick a place and we'll just go."

His eyes met mine in the rear view. "You think it's that easy?"

I stared out the window not wanting to watch him watching me. "Depends, I guess. Do you think it can get any worse than this?" I raised my hands as if to encompass everything around me, wishing the warmth from the front could keep me from feeling cold.

"Probably not," he said, his own voice sounding just as weary as mine and I laughed in spite of myself.

"That's exactly what I was thinking. Or trying not to think about really. But you know how that works."

"Thinking when you don't want to think?"

I leaned forward in my seat, and gave him my best sad smile. "Excessively thinking..."

"Excessively worrying you mean," he quipped back, locking his eyes again on mine.

"It's all one and the same," I admitted.

"So stop already," he said, half turning around in his chair. "It is a choice you know."

"And you know how?" I asked.

"No," he said pulling the car over to the side of the road. I fumbled for a moment searching my pocketbook for change, one hand ready on the door, the other gripping my coat around me.

"Me neither." I answered, swinging the door wide open.

"You going to be okay here?" he asked glancing around, a skeptical look on his face, the darkness of a quiet street misleading.

"Right as rain," I murmured. "Right as rain."

No comments:

 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs