Slow Sunday Morning

Sunday morning and I'm skipping church using KC's sleepover last night as an excuse if not an actual reason not to go. Then again I think I pretty much decided yesterday morning when my alarm went off at five that I deserved one morning of sleeping in and actually pretending that this is a weekend meant to be spent away from work.

Still the work I managed to get done yesterday without the constant pressure of a phone beeping away in my ear was well worth the early morning trip in and the four hours I holed myself away in my office finishing reports, digging through my credit files, and rearranging my desk back to its normal configuration from a month or so ago when I moved it around to accommodate a trainee.

That being done, I transferred into the weekend quite smoothly. Not counting of course my almost major melt down in WalMart - dreaded place really - where people all around my area have suddenly forgotten that legs are meant for walking and moving is not an option when you have more than ten people behind you wanting to get somewhere else. And really, what was I thinking anyway? WalMart on a Saturday afternoon? I must have been losing my mind.

I did however promise the girls we'd carve pumpkins... And while they carved, I made dinner. Homemade mac and cheese with a golden layer of bread crumbs coating the top baked along side a dish of chicken brushed with rosemary and other heartwarming herbs that made all our mouths water, and fragranced the house with a pleasing aroma.

After dinner, clean up once again proving itself optional last night I hurried the girls out the door and into the night for a ceremonial pumpkin lighting and a short trip down the road to my friend Sue's house.

And it turns out - as it always does - that I had a great time just being there, talking away and laughing despite my earlier thought of holing up for the night in hope my phone might ring. Life however, as I must constantly remind myself - should never be about waiting on someone else to make it feel right or complete. And it's when I find myself mostly wanting to stay, that I must urge myself to go...

I thought of this last night as I was driving home. How glad I was that I decided to get out of the house, even if that leaving did include taking two children in tow.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ahh..the comment about Walmart. So true so true. I made the mistake going in last Sunday and I swore everyone was there along with their lack of common sense. Nervousness set in within minutes and I think I had a hive or two...

Stacey said...

I never go to Wally World unless it's absolutely necessary... Although really, I'm sure if I tried just a wee bit harder I'd never have to go there at all...

Besides all the people who don't know how to push shopping carts and walk at the same time shop there...

 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs