Recommendation for Reading

I had only thought to read a few pages. A chapter at most and then I'd put the book down and run out for a few minutes to do some quick errands. An hour and a half later, the book is finished and my errands have been moved to the to do list for tomorrow. One would think that I would know better than to bother picking up a book when I know that the only way I'll be putting it down is by finishing it.

This story however was a hard read. And there were times when I had to rest my eyes and give myself a second to breathe before continuing on. The book, If I Am Missing Or Dead - A Sister's Story of Love, Murder and Liberation by Janine Latus is not a fictional telling of something that might have been but rather a heart wrenching account of the silence of abuse, and the murder of a beloved sister. I won't pretend to think that I can do this book any justice by trying to sum it up in a few short sentences. I could, but I'm choosing not to. Advising instead that you read it for yourself.

I am however a big fan of borrowing an excerpt to share...

"If you see yourself in this book, you are not alone. I thought I was. Amy thought she was. But we weren't. I know now that if we had asked, people would have come, as they will for you.

It takes courage to change your life. Day in and day out, over and over, you have to decide to take the small, brave steps that change your future."


I know how important this message is to get out... Because it's not enough just to say it, or read it when it's easy to think that no, that could never be me. And the truth is, that's what I thought too. It took forcing myself out from my own denial before I was ready to face the truth of what I had allowed to happen... And it took twenty two days short of one year before I finally reached out and admitted to my family and my friends that I did need their help.

I only wish I'd called them sooner...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great review! Thanks, Stacey. I hope people listen. I wrote this book to start a national conversation about the spectrum of emotional and physical abuse. The more people we have talking about this, the fewer women who will feel alone.

Janine

Stacey said...

Wow...

For once I am robbed of anything to say...

 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs