The Coming Twilight

For me to be without words is a wonder. I normally know what the right words are to say. But I am at a loss. Feeling out of my element and in a space and time that requires me knowing what it is you need right now to hear...

All I can do is make you promises. Promises for a future that exceeds the time you've left here on earth. Promises that all of us here, after a time, will be okay.

I promise to look after Dad... With enough phone calls to drive him crazy, enough visits to make him wish that I'd do him a favor by staying home, and constantly nagging him - as I know you would want us to do - to make sure he's doing everything he needs to do to take care of himself.

And I promise to look after Audrey... Reminding her not to float too far away in those clouds she likes to call home, while encouraging her, as I know you would yourself, to follow her dreams just as far as they will go and to be very proud of the accomplished young woman she's become.

And I will be ready, whatever time, day or night, when Jodi needs a hand to hold onto, a sister to talk to, an outlet for her anger, an outlet for her tears, words of advice or just a silent companion to help her to weather the coming storms. And I will make sure we have food fights at the dinner table, conversations that end with giggles, and family moments which are as memorable as much as they are completely insane...

And I promise that Amy and I will learn to let the small things go, and work together as a team to provide for Dad and to help your daughters, our sisters, deal with the grief of having to let you go far sooner than it is fair to be made to say goodbye...

2 comments:

L said...

Stacey...

I am so sorry...

I'm back, I'm here...if it matter, if you want an ear all this time later...

I'm sorry.

Stacey said...

As always appreciated, regardless of the passage of time...

Good to hear from you again.

Hoping all is well.
Stacey

 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs