Dreams

I crave inertia every move made, so I can stop.
Whatever this madness is in me, spinning like a top.


Second night no sleep.

Last night went pretty much like this, except I stayed in bed, eyes open in the darkness, trying to count imaginary sheep in my head.

I think it had something to do with the wolves.

The wolves in my dreams that were biting at my heels as I tried to run away. Hiding under a canopy of gnarled tree branches, that looked like the hands of an old wizard cloaked in twilight, as they growled and mashed their teeth. Showing off the whiteness of their fangs against their dark black coats, as they pressed their circle around me. Coming closer with each footfall.

Is it any wonder why I'm awake? And yet I wonder how this dream is comparable to some of the others I have had.

Take for instance the chicken dream from a week before. I can't remember if I blogged about it or not, despite my need to get it out of my head.

Short synopsis ... It was me and a bunch of baby chicks, standing in the middle of a farm yard, a big red barn to our back, a white house to our side, and a sea of grass that lead to a long road in the distance.

The dream started out sweet. Scattering seed for the babies to eat. The easy sway back and forth of the arm, casting out food in all directions so none went hungry. A calming dream, until the first slither came out of the green, green grass. Forked tongue, angular head, cocked this way and that, breathing in the air.

With lightning speed, the yard soon filled with a hundred snakes, each eyeing the luscious chicks with breakfast on their mind. And though I feared the snakes, I held my ground. Scooping up chick after chick into my arms until not another chick could fit. I thought we were safe. But then the snakes started wrapping about my legs, digging in as they swirled up my side, their open mouths gaping like a black vortex eager to devour chickens.

Which is when - of course - I woke.

But now I'm about tuckered out again, and ready to try sleep out one more time. Perhaps I could dream of something fluffy and nice for a change. Wouldn't that be alright.

No comments:

 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs