Listening...


I'm getting a little geeked up over these ridiculous Partylite candles I purchased a few weeks ago when my paycheck still felt like it was making a difference in my life. And then I bought these candles, spending far too much money on things I didn't really need but wanted just the same because I wanted my house to smell warm and spicy like a pumpkin pie baking in the oven.

And already, despite the earliness of the hour, my candles are already burning bright, their small flames flickering in beat to a music only they can hear, lighting this semi-darkness of dawn.

As for me, I'm sitting here in my pajamas, with a cat beneath my chair attacking my feet - listening to Dvorak's 1rst Movement from his New World Symphony. A song you can listen to for yourself if you're so inclined to do so by tuning yourself to the bottom of the page as noted in yesterday's post of irrelevant information and clicking on play...

The thing about classical music, at least what I've always loved about it is how so many different instruments can be layered, one on top of the other to create this dynamic movement of sound. This piece in particular is a good representation of a fugue, which can be explained by using simple sentence structure as an example. If I were to say a sentence and then you were to repeat that same sentence in verbatim to me, and then that same sentence was said by someone else, we'd have ourselves what in musical terms would be called a subject and an exposition. In other words, same sentence, different voices.

Or if you want the technical definition...

A fugue opens with one main theme, the subject, which then sounds successively in each voice in imitation; when each voice has entered, the exposition is complete; usually this is followed by a connecting passage, or episode, developed from previously heard material; further "entries" of the subject then are heard in related keys. Episodes and entries are usually alternated until the "final entry" of the subject, by which point the music has returned the opening key, or tonic, which is often followed by closing material, the coda.[4] [1] In this sense, fugue is a style of composition, rather than fixed structure. Though there are certain established practices, in writing the exposition for example,[5] composers approach the style with varying degrees of freedom and individuality.


I may have failed my Music Theory 2 class - because I was a teenager and therefore an obstinate pain in the arse more concerned with being cool and pretending not to care, than I was in writing the final assignment or in this case the music composition required for passing. The point is that even though I did fail, I still passed...

Because at the almost age of 33, I still almost know what I'm talking about and the truth is, I cared enough to listen.

I always have.

No comments:

 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs