I want my underoos and I want them now!

When I was 10, I could run around half naked in a thunderstorm, wearing nothing but yellow terry cloth bottoms and an Indian Chief headdress, and nobody would have glanced twice. (Other than my mother who always managed to capture that kind of Kodak moment on film. And let me assure you, that there is indeed, a picture of the aforementioned, somewhere in some treasure box buried away.)

But nothing ever compared to my underoos.

They were all the rage back then. You weren't somebody, unless you had them and for me, my Wonder Woman roos said it all.

Beneath my clothes, I was a superhero waiting for danger to strike, complete with magic lasso and invisible plane. A card carrying member for the forces of good, I was always willing to fight the good fight.

Unfortunately for me, the evil foe I usually fought, turned out to be my older sister.

Not such a good thing, considering she wasn't inclined to be of the loving and adoring persuasion of older sisterhood. A personality defect that was apparent by her choice of Darth Vader underoos, that pledged her alliance to the dark side.

And what is one to do, when your sister turns out to be Darth Vador? Invite her over for tea and cakes?

Nah ... It was much smarter to opt for the magic lasso, the light saber or whatever other sort of handy object happened to be lying around. In the right hands, even a simple little smurf mug could easily become a weapon.

Of course, when your mug ended up being among the casualties of such an episode, things could get a little depressing. So could the fact that you'd been grounded for an indefinite amount of time for breaking your sisters wrist.

However, despite the grounding and the very small twinge of guilt that nestled in-between the smallest of your two toes, you were secretly proud.

Standing up on your bed, sheet wrapped around your neck like a cape, you puffed out your chest, proclaiming your victory to the world.

But like everything else, it was a short lived moment. Especially when a rock solid cast flying in your direction, had made other plans for you.

No comments:

 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs