Things around here are getting stranger and more complicated. As I thought would happen, this morning ushered in a quick meeting of explanation on the unexpected layoff within the office yesterday. Note that I use the word layoff with a hint of skepticism, although that is indeed the reasoning we were told to believe. They were however, quick to reassure the rest of us that for the time being, no other layoffs have been planned. This of course was followed by many a sigh of self preservation and relief.

So all in all, things continued on today as they always do. Until the PHONE CALL. Around lunch time today, I received a special call from a far away power that be, one that immediately had me on guard wondering how it was my name was popping around in conversation. In a very straight forward way, I was asked if I had any interest whatsoever in the newly vacated spot.

"Holy Canoli!", I thought to myself. The switch to my current position just a couple of months ago had been hard enough, having to answer within a short amount of time this latest question was like being placed in the belly of the whale. Quickly my mind made mental tabs between the Yes's and No's ... Question after question sent my brain to spinning all the while "The Power" was waiting for my reply.

Finally I said "YES" ... I'd be willing to consider it, willing to cross train long enough to make an educated decision. And it was done. The phone call would be made to let the other powers know that I could be approached formally now. All the while, leaving me to wonder what it was that I had just put myself into contention for. That I guess, remains to be seen.

On the lighter side of this whole episode of intrique and excitement. My lovely co-workers feared the worst when realizing I had indeed crossed the threshold into the dreaded conference room and was behind "Closed Doors". I think they half expected me to come out crying, prepared with empty cardboard boxes waiting to be packed. Probably a good thing it didn't play out that way considering how many personal items I have crammed into my office. It would take me at least a day and a half to move everything out. But it was nice to know that they cared ...Although by now you'd think they'd know me better.

No comments:

 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs