Slumber Party, Anyone?

Today has been the complete opposite of yesterday as I've been anything BUT bored. In fact, I have been quite busy since the moment I first awoke to screeching cat noises to now, the latter end of the evening.

KC even convinced me (though I'm not sure how) to let her have a friend over tonight. And despite my nervousness over the state of her room behind her currently closed door (as my coolness as a Mom has evidently faded) I can tell by the giggles and hushed whispers that they're more than having fun.

I had company earlier as well. Bren and her daughter Livvy came over for dinner, after I bribed her with the dinner menu. I defrosted some of the riggie sauce I made last week, boiled water for fresh pasta, threw together a quick Caesar salad (thanks to Dole) and made a fresh loaf of garlic bread, all in the twenty or so minutes it took for them to get here.

Bren brought over some raspberry malted beverage which was more than an even exchange ... And quite good too. Although I think we could have done with maybe a few more. And then maybe a few more after that. Not that I'm much of a drinker, but they went down smooth and cold. Nice on an almost summer night.

As for me, I'm more tired than I thought I was and hope to get to sleep fairly early tonight, though to be honest, I'm not counting on it. The last time KC had a sleep over, I fell asleep sometime around when the girls did, just a few hours off their plan to stay up ALL night.

11 comments:

Coyote Girl said...

Perhaps you can explain it to me: Why didn't I have a small container of Riggie sauce sent back with me to NC? It boggles the mind....

A rainy, somber day here today and I am thinking of all the soldiers so far from home...I am honored to have veterans of WWII and VietNam in my family: Navy, US Army and USMC all represented. My thoughts go out to those who payed the ultimate price and yes, I still want (more than anything) peace throughout the world.

KC said...

Now why didn't I thinkg of that?

Hmmm ...

As for Martin (Mom, close your eyes) tell him I'll bring him some sauce over today. You provide the boiling water and the riggies, and I'll provide the remaining sauce.

Orbling said...

How did you make a loaf of bread in 20 minutes? Must be some method of kneading I'm not familiar with. ;)

It took me some googling to find out exactly what riggie sauce was, I guessed the word derived from rigatoni via context, but after that it was a mystery. Something I can't eat anyhow.

KC said...

This would be one of those times when the carnivore in me wins out ... I guess this would be off the menu if I were to ever extend a long distance invitation to dinner ... ;)

As for the loaf of bread, I cheated (improvised). I bought the loaf from the market, and then garlic-ed it up myself with my secret recipe of herbs, garlic and cheese. Mmmm mmmm good.

Orbling said...

Given the way you feel about pulses, it's best that we never eat together. You've probably not eaten a meal I consider edible in many moons, 'cept perhaps fruit on it's own. ;)

KC said...

I'm never been a big fruit fan ... It gived me what I call "Fruit Face" which is basically me with my face all twisted up with the sweetness of it all ...

I had salad too ya know!

;)

Orbling said...

I have an excruiatingly sweet tooth, in my head, fruit is sour.

With a dressing? [salad]

[I've only very recently started touching salad, I avoided it beforehand. I've got used to it in sandwiches finally.]

KC said...

Ceasar salad dressing ...

Okay ... Now you've got me confused.

:)

Humor me and tell me what you manage to sustain yourself on.

Orbling said...

Caesar salad dressing has at least eggs and cheese in it, and usually anchovies. None of which I eat.

Recall, I'm vegan.

Which essentially means, no animal ingredients of any description. Animal means all animals, including birds, fish, insects, other. Unlike vegetarianism, it's not just dead stuff, so all dairy, eggs, honey even, and all derivatives are out. It applies to non-food as well, so leather, fur, wool, is out.

Full criteria can be seen here.

I eat plenty, far too much infact, LOL, although it's mainly fairly healthy stuff as having a diet like that means it's automatically cholesterol free, and tends to be balanced well.

Ben Zephaniah wrote a nice poem on what we eat. ;)

It's not so bad, you've seen plenty of yummies I make - I love food, just don't like taking advantage for the pleasure.

KC said...

I'm not sure I could handle all that as I'm not the biggest fan of veggies and their friends.

Why do I feel like sticking my head in the sand now?

Orbling said...

I know the feeling.

 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs