Mom and Me

My Mom is here! Well, almost here. She's actually at my Gram's for the night and will be coming out in the morning to see KC's recital, along with the rest of my assorted family.

And even though I'm thirty, there's something odd about being in the same room with my Mom and Dad at the same time. Kind of like a chicken little thing fearing that the sky will fall at any given moment. Though to be honest, it's no where near what it was like when we were kids. Back then it always felt like I was a rubber band snapping back and forth, changing myself to match the parent I was with. And I guess in a way that hasn't changed much at all. I still try to make my Mother proud and wave my hands in the air to get my Father's attention.

With my Mom so close, it's hard to contain myself from feeling a thousand different emotions. On one hand, a major load of stress trying to get my house as close to perfect as possible and on the other hand, absolute joy to be able to spend time with my Mom. Something that has been very hard to do when she's lived in North Carolina these past 9 years ... But the worst emotion, is the one I get when I realize just how short a visit this one is going to be. Goodbyes are not my forte. Not even close. And though some might consider me a baby, I came to the conclusion a long time ago, that I'd never be too old to want my Mommy around more often than not.

These next four days are going to fly by fast. So fast, that I doubt I'll be near my computer long enough to think of a single word to say, let alone post. So once again, you're going to have to miss me. My ego always needs a stroke.

4 comments:

Orbling said...

Glad you get to spend some time together, even if it is a flying visit.

Goodbyes and endings I can't tolerate, to such an extent that I actively stop things from happening just to avoid there ends. I'm often shouted at for complaining about the holidays nearly being over before they've begun. It's an unfortunate way to be, much better to be able to really enjoy things without forethought.

I'll miss you, but at least I know you're spending your time very well in a much deserved way. :)

KC said...

We're having a great time ... Not counting the dusting of very high places that can't be seen but need to be cleaned anyway ... And I must say, my oven has never shined before like it does now.

I'm wondering if it's a blessing or a curse to be blessed with the cleaning gene ... Thank goodness I can deal with a little bit of clutter in my life. If I had to Mom clean like this everyday, I think I'd drive myself to the brink of disaster.

But we're having a grand time. Lots of interesting and deep conversations, lots of laughter and lots of just enjoying the passing of time while it's on our side.

More ... Soon.

Ron Simpson said...

My parents have been married over 50 yrs and are still going strong at 71 and 75 .. They live about 15 to 20 minutes away from us .. which is great .. When my oldest was 5 (she is 25 now) we lived in northern Ohio where I was working .. It got real old real fast not having them just down the road ..
Growing up, my father and I clashed and butted heads a lot, but in time we became friends .. I talk to my parents just about every day and see them at least once a week, usually more .. Enjoy this time you have together .. face to face .. Give MOM a big hello from yer blogger buddies

KC said...

Dinner was awesome, wasn't it? We have to do that more often. Plus it's an added bonus to have someone (cough ... KC) not complain over what I've made.

 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs