Little Nut Far From Home


My girl is gone away... Five sleeps and six days away from me with only a sleeping bag to keep her warm and a flimsy shelter to keep her safe.

And here I was so concerned that she'd be scared to watch me walk away and leave her there to fend for herself and make new friends. Instead it's me, worrying that maybe she's not warm enough or sitting too close to the campfire or scared as darkness begins to settle like a blanket over the pines.

"You're leaving already?" she asked me earlier when I told her it was time for me to leave, a hint of nervousness in her voice.

I smiled, pulled her in for a comforting hug and a quick kiss on the cheek. "I don't think they're going to let me stay..."

I walked away wanting to look back but didn't, remembering a conversation I had earlier on in the week with my Mother about KC being just the right age to go to a sleep-away camp. I guess I just never considered that the person who wouldn't be ready might be me...

No comments:

 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs