Good Time Had By All

"For the first time in her life she thought, might the same wonders never come again? Was each wonder original and alone like the falling star, and when it fell did it bury itself beyond where you hunted it?"
- Eudora Welty, "The Winds," The Wide Net (1943)

So it turns out that yesterday wasn't all that bad at all. KC and I had an incredible time, despite a late day thunderstorm which left the both of us soaking wet down to the skin and our feet covered with a fine layer of mud and everything outdoors.

I even participated in an egg race, taking second to Daryl, who only by his quick turn at the flagpole was able to steal first from me as I held on with all my might not to slip. But considering how many people I left in the dust, second was more than alright with me.

KC who found a forever friend in Daryl's daughter - as they were both of the same age and height - spent most of the day out in the forest adding on to a teepee that someone else had already made long before. (Though this did not stop her from trying to take credit for the entire conception of the structure.) And both the girls, despite mosquito bites which refused to be repelled by bug spray, felt very lucky to have found someone who appeared to be a carbon copy of themselves.

Argh ... Just as I thought would happen, I finished this post, having written a few more paragraphs than what you see here, and my computer borks out on me. Nothing ticks me off more than that, but what can you do? Throwing the computer out the window is not an option. Tempting yes, but no.

No comments:

 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs