String Around the Finger

I have the world's worst memory. And when it comes to remembering something important, I'm not above sticking a post it note on the back of my front door that reads, "Today is a company recognized holiday. Do not pass go. Do not go to work, but go directly back upstairs to bed." And yes, I have gone to work before only to realize that I was the only car in the parking lot ... Damn!

And so as Moe was leaving today (the lucky bastard was on the early shift) he stopped at my door and said with a grin on his face, "Don't forget we've got the meeting tomorrow morning." A meeting I had already forgotten ... And one he knew I had already forgotten judging by the sarcastic little upturn of his lips.

Being the smart girl that I sometimes am, I decided right then and there that something had to be done. And so I did the only thing that I could think of on the spur of the moment. I called home to my answering machine.

I'd like to take a moment now and admit that I do indeed have an incredibly dorky and yet somehow still adorable side. And while I'm at it, I'll also admit that I do sing in the car, flip people off when they're not looking, stick my tongue out of my mouth at least 2 times a day while making weird faces, and have been known to say the most incredibly stupid things. Although it should be noted, that the incredibly stupid things are more prone to come out of my mouth with a member of the male species standing nearby ...

Back to the answering machine message. Now I know a lot of people out there might have just left a basic memo like message on their machine to remind them, but come on, if you haven't learned by now that I'm not like most people, you haven't read nearly enough of the archives ... And seriously what girl wouldn't want to go home to this message?

"Hello there you gorgeous creature. This is your friendly reminder to set your alarm and get your ass out of bed extra early tomorrow morning for your meeting. And just to tell you right now, there will be no hitting the snooze button come morning. Not even once, so get to it! Oh and yeah, peace out yo."

6 comments:

Ron Simpson said...

Stacey,

you are not alone. I call myself with poem ideas if I cant find paper and pen. I call myself to sing tunes to songs I might be working on. I will call myself from my bed to the phone in the living room to leave a message.

Of course, I dont know if this is supposed to make us feel better about it or not ..

Orbling said...

I agree with Lisa, silly is good - great even. It's not good to take yourself too seriously. :)

My memory is much like yours, it excels in remembering facts, faces, voices, what happened when, anything long term, but sucks something chronic at short term things and anything that is time related - ie. something you have to remember at a certain time, spontaneously. At that, I am hopeless. But it does mean lots of exercise wandering up and down staircases constantly forgetting what you are travelling up and down them for. The downside is getting yelled at all the time for not remembering to do anything anyone asked.

I sing in the car, well other people's - much to their annoyance. Especially if I'm bouncing about at the same time and making the car look like it's possessed by the devil from a distance.

Can't leave myself messages though, hate answer phones and don't leave messages for others, let alone me. My answer phone is on permenantly and isn't checked awfully regularly and calls do not get returned. I kinda prefer the written word, where responses can be considered - much more civilized. :)

KC said...

I think I do feel better about it ... In an I'm not alone sort of way. And it must be something about people who like to write, as I too have left messages on my machine filled with wrods I wanted to remember. Or thoughts that needed further exploring ...

It's also a nice way to ensure your message light is blinking when you get home. Some days it can be downright disappointing to realize no one called who cares. And I suppose calling yourself takes care of two birds with one stone. Although it should be said that I hate the sound of my recorded voice. I swear, it doesn't sound a thing like me.

Maybe next time I'll try singing and not just in the shower or in my car or in the aisles at the grocery store.

Silliness is my forte. I'm a member of the refusing to act my age club and it's the best way to be. If you can't laugh and be silly, the responsibilites will just end up crushing you. And I'm not a big fan of being crushed.

What is it that Sting sang once? I'll send an SOS to the world, I hope that someone gets me, I hope that someone gets my, message in a bottle.

Not quite sure that's right, but I'm guessing it's close enough.

Off to work!

Orbling said...

You obviously get a different type of call to me, if I come back and the message light is blinking it means somebody wants something done, some company wants some money or by far the most likely, I've received a bunch of sales calls.

We get something like 30 cold calls a day, so annoying. Phones are thus unwelcome things in my opinion. Though if they come complete with Stacey's singing, I'd re-evaluate. ;)

KC said...

You might just re-evaluate after you hear my singing ...

Got any requests?

;)

Orbling said...

LOL, I've worked with/as a karaoke DJ in the past - so I've heard some proper bad singers, you'd have to be amazingly bad to put me off. ;)

No requests, songs should always be chosen by the singer - besides, never ask for what you wouldn't give, safety first. ;)

 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs