No, No and No

Some friendships are meant to end.

And though, I had spent the better part of last week thinking to rekindle such a friendship, the answer, the only answer there could be, is an unequivocal no.

Once again, with just two people in common, Gina has left me feeling as if it were up to me to clean up her mess, regardless of the fact that she doesn't have a clue that I know about her latest escapade.

Enter Brian.

Brian is one of those you know guys, you know him through work, but you don't really know much about him at all, other than once in a blue moon, he gets connected to your extension and has the pleasure of talking to you.

occasionally finding himself heading in our direction, he's taken to stopping in, and hanging out for a while just to shoot the shit. Personally I think he likes the dynamics of our office, with Slug and I nearly going head to head every day, and Moe harping on everyone 24 - 7. (Slug whom I might add hosted a happy hour party Friday, which I fortunately did not attend, sober he spends enough time looking at my boobs, drunk ... Well, let's just say that was one experience I was willing to forego.)

And so when Toni said Brian was coming down, I thought it was one of his ordinary visits. Little did I know, he was the cat that had somehow managed to come across Gina through means of another company like ours. And of course, learning of the connection, Gina - always one to throw herself onto a single man, or married for that matter - made quick plans to meet up with him for the weekend.

So on went Toni, Brian and another friend of his, off to the bar for introductions. Brian's expectations somewhat lofty considering there had obviously been many phone conversations leading up to this point. Only when Gina got there, it was apparent that Brian didn't exactly meet her expectations. And so in true Gina fashion, she latched onto Toni, spent almost the entire time chatting her up, and then made her pretty excuses to the guys with promises to meet up the following morning.

Well, as you have probably already guessed, Gina was a no show for the remainder of the weekend. And I know how she works, having witnessed it many times before. If you're not what she wants, can't give her what she needs, and don't present a challenge ... Then she's not interested. And when she's not interested, she has no qualms about showing you her dark, ugly side.

So how did I manage to get drawn into this mess, the one not of my own making? Let's just call it a job hazard, when you're constantly in the position of being the nice girl.

And nice girls always do what they can to help you out. Offering an ear, as well as a word of empathy, and trying to make you feel better, about how someone else managed to do you wrong.

And so Friday, despite the chaos of being down both Moe and Toni at work, when Brian called I took a few minutes to listen to what he had to say. And of course, feeling that perhaps I should have warned him prior to his Gina experience, about exactly what he was setting himself up for, I couldn't contain my small measure of guilt.

The damnedest thing is, Brian is actually a nice guy, not like most of the cretins that Gina attracts. And so I did feel generally bad for him.

Happily though, the situation did bring about an end to my questioning whether or not getting back in touch with Gina was a good idea. Like I said, the answer is no.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

So Brian is the nice guy? Can you send the poor soul my way I don't know of any nice guys?

KC said...

Unfortunately I think Brian would have to have a say in his being passed around.

And though nice guys do exist, I've learned that they aren't that easy to find.

Rest assurede though, I will keep looking. In the meantime, I'll check with Brian and see if he's still on the market.

Anonymous said...

hmmm, I have not heard this side of the whole ordeal. The slugged version was very amusing. Next time you have second thoughts about revisiting the past, well, buzz me miss blue and I will remind you why not to have a weak moment. M&M

KC said...

Good lord! The M&M candies have taken to reading my BLOG! (And they like me, they really like me ...)

Quite honestly, as for the rekindling of old friendships, I simply couldn't share my thoughts on this one considering I already knew what you would say ... And please don't lecture me on this tomorrow, as I did manage to make the right choice all on my own.

As for Slugless, all I have to say is, "Yeah right." Do you think I should ask "you know who" about last Friday's car ride, when it was reported to have been very windy? Or can we chalk that up to a complete lie and misrepresentation of the truth?

Consider yourself buzzed.

Miss Blue signing off.

 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs