The Vacation Chronicles, Chapter 1

Day 1, Vacation 2004

Blogging from the extremely exotic location of my dining room table, where sounds of the washer whirring and dryer drying can be heard over the sound of KC's new play station game.

I'm a bit of a crank this morning. Evidently staying local on your vacation means people believe it's okay to ring you at an ungodly hour. And while something after 8 may not seem so ungodly to some people, when you've stayed up late into the wee hours finishing a book you couldn't put down, let me assure you it is.

I am giving unplugging the phone for the remainder of the week some serious consideration ...

Other than that, I'm doing the bare minimum of morning chores before KC and I head to places unknown for the day. And as I always like to say, "Have credit card, will travel."

Which is an unfortunate un-truth, since the current state of my car prohibits any long and out of state trips. And it totally sucks, because I was giving some thought to packing up and driving to North Carolina, to surprise my Mom with an impromptu visit. You know the kind where you show up on the doorstep in the middle of the night and say, "Surprise! We're here!" and worry about whether they have room for you later, or not.

And sigh. It would have been nice to sit out on her deck, overlooking the lake while KC ran around the yard playing with the dog, or attempting to catch fish, with Grandpa unhooking her catch, because quite frankly, that's not in my job description. Runny noses, yes, the occasional vomiting session, disgustingly yes, but fish ... Absolutely not, I'd rather make a swift return back to the diaper days.

And I could have sat in the sun and shade, gloriously typing away pages to the novel I'm oh so slowly writing, with the feel of the summer breeze softly blowing against my cheeks and tousling my hair. And I could have relaxed. Gotten away from it all, them all, and anyone else who threatens to be even mildly annoying during my time of freedom and rest. And I'm sure Mom would have enjoyed the visit too ...

Ach well, even the best laid or never made plans tend to work themselves out eventually.

No comments:

 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs