Eyes Wide Open

Nobody got any sleep last night despite a valiant effort on my part to keep the noise level down to a dull roar. Every time I thought I was just about to slip over the edge into the oblivion that is sleep, whispered voices and fast moving feet had me sitting up straight as a post, to yell ( because at some point your patience loses out) "To bed. Now!"

Continually I wonder why I allow myself to be tortured in such a way, after all a gaggle of girls giggling into the wee hours of the night isn't anywhere close to my idea of fun. But I guess that what I'm really doing is thinking of the future... With the teen years just around the corner, I'd rather be the Mom who has a house full than the Mom who doesn't know where and with who her daughter is hanging out with. I call it laying the foundation without KC knowing it's there, kind of like taking her to church every Sunday, and knowing that even though she's not listening as close as I'd like her to be, through the power of osmosis she's hearing it all the same.

3 comments:

navy_john said...

In the last two years since my 'slowing down', I have really learned to lighten up and appreciate what's important. And what's really important, like you said, are those teenage years.

My daughter is only a year and a half away. We relly need to invest in and for those years because, after that, they will go on with their adult lives and won't need us as much anymore.

Hopefully, things like this sleepover will secure a phone call once in a while and lunch dates to talk about the guy that could change her live forever.

Ok, I write too much and this subject instills fear in me, so I will end it here. Like so much of life, it is painful, but the working out expression seems to prove so true, 'no pain, no gain'.

Nance said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nance said...

Stacey, be that house that everyone comes to. It's the best feeling knowing that your kids love having their friends over. I know it can be sometimes loud but in the blink of an eye they will be all grown up and the silence then will be piercing. I think it's a big reflection on us as parents that our kids like having their friends over. I have that house my son's friends flock to and I love it. He's 14 now and I would rather him here than hanging out here and there. Sure I go through tons of snacks and soft drinks but someday I'll be looking at full cupboards, a quiet house and memories of a time that I can't ever get back. Enjoy the noise as I do. You're doing a great jo :)

 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs