Life Lines

Sometimes my mind gets clogged up with so many different things that I'm not quite sure where to start or whether or not I'm required to start at all. It's quite like being at a press conference where I'm at the podium waiting to answer and in the audience waiting to be called on to ask my question. Tonight I'm just sort of lost. Wondering about lots of little things, some that matter, some that don't, some that are simply afterthoughts of the day gone by. The biggest question of the moment is in two parts, the first being when will I allow myself the luxury of sleep and the second what is it that needs telling at this point in time.

To say that I think in pictures is to say that what I really do is think in words. Not a moment goes by that I don't somehow play a story line in my head, trying to figure out the ending before I've quite got a handle on the beginning. I'm always rushing things, forgetting to savor the moments when I should and then forgetting the small details when I meant to remember. Sometimes I write down things I want to think about later. A little reminder to myself that I had a thought that needs to be thought about some more. And then I think that the possibility is quite good that I allow myself to do too much thinking.

I think right now one of my main thoughts has been the relation of self to others. The perception of how we relate to the world and how that world relates to us. And how random life can be with its twists and turns. How fast someone can swoop into our lives and how in the space of a single heartbeat they can be gone again as if they never really were. And how these random occurrences change us, like intersections of outside forces which when viewed like a map show us the topography of how we exist and came to be. Every brief meeting, every intense love affair, even the people we've only passed on the street, all of them count. Count in ways we may never be able to prove, but count just the same like energy that passes from one object to another. How could we ever think that any interaction with anyone at all would cease to matter?

Maybe I don't know what I'm talking about. Maybe I'm talking about things I don't quite understand, but I think after so many years I understand something about human nature. We all just want to belong, to find our niche, that one place where it's exactly right for us to be. We seek out similar souls, people to share this journey with us, to make us laugh, to make us smile, to hold our hands when we need strength, to brush away out tears when our eyes are wet from crying. Like Barb sings we're all just people who need people.

And I need lots of people. People to remind me that the lesson we learn here on earth isn't something you can read in the find what you love to do and the money will come later section of the bookstore but in the power we have to make a positive difference to someone who simply needs to know that they have a place. They belong. They matter.

No comments:

 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs