Why I'm awake and conscious at this point in my life I don't know. KC and I didn't get home until late last night and although I know I probably could have (a) stayed at Gram's currently closed down house which I'm sure by now has more spiders in it than outside it, or (b) called in a favor from my Mom's friend Janet, I decided to do the two hour drive home in favor of sleeping in my own house and my own bed. Needless to say four plus hours of driving, shopping, and attempting to keep Gram from taking everything I said the wrong way, I was pretty much done in.

I am however thankful that as usual I have some of the best guardian angels riding shotgun over my shoulder. Not even five minutes of popping on the thruway and KC and I were almost taken out by a tractor trailer hauling a double load who on the passing side of the lane decided he wanted to be in my lane and obviously didn't see us until I crossed over the rumble strips to avoid being crushed and laid on my horn like a madwoman to say, "Um hello, you want to not kill me today!"

Almost dying aside, KC and I showed up at Gram's in record time - or as I'll clarify by saying so my Mother doesn't think I was Speed Racer on the Northway - in the normal amount of time it takes me to get from point A to B. Anyhoo, we were pulling in to Gram's new pad, on our surprise we didn't tell you we were coming ahead of time visit, when we spotted this feisty little Gramma lady walking on the sidewalk at a rather fast clip, a turquoise visor on her head, a sporty pair of shades, and a cane that I know from personal experience can be downright dangerous depending on how fast you're able to move.

Pulling up along side, I rolled down my window, grinned like an idiot and said, "Excuse me Mam, I believe you have company."

Which would have been really cute had my Grandmother not been as quick with her own reply of, "Who?"

Needless to say Gram was quite happy to see us once she realized who we were. We parked the car, got out, gave hugs, and followed Grams down to the gazebo to check out the new fish in the koi pond. Fish she's secretly named Billie Boy and Millie May regardless of what anyone else wants to call them. Although I do believe she mentioned that there was some sort of contest to name the fish... However knowing my Grandmother as I do, it won't matter who wins the name drawing. As far as she's concerned their monikers are already in place.

No comments:

 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs