Just call me Abby ...

Abby: If I was a guy, I think women would like, line up to go out with me. I'm smart. I have a good sense of humor. I make a great living.
Noelle: I'd fuck you.
Abby: Thank you, honey. I know you would.

The Truth About Cats and Dogs is that no matter how hard you try just to be yourself, sometimes it's easier to be someone else.

Waking up this morning, I had no intention of writing such a thing, until I turned on the tele to find one of my all time favorite movies running on Comedy Central. Despite the fact that this movie makes me feel like a walking car wreck, I decided to leave it playing in the background as I did my morning chores.

The premise of the movie, for those of you who have yet to see this 1996 classic, is a tale of friendship, love and mistaken identity. Brian, the leading man, is entranced by a woman he meets over the phone on a call-in doggie doctor line. Setting a date to meet her, things get a bit complicated when Abby arranges for her fabulous model friend to pretend to be her while she plays the frumpy sidekick. Trouble follows of course, when the girls decide to continue the ruse, Noelle handling the in person dates and Abby manning the phones for late night conversations.

Though determined to tell the truth, Abby can't seem to find a way to break the news of her blonde body double to Brian, obsessing that she is nothing much to write home about.

Noelle: I've got something for you.
Abby: (Pretending to read) "Loser guys and how to spot them."
Noelle: No. "Low self-esteem. Are you a victim?"
Abby: (Very softly) No.
Noelle: Wait. Question one - "Do you feel you need to be punished for how you look?"
Abby: I don't need to be punished. I am punished.

Assaulted with both beauty and brains, Brian of course, can't help but to fall in love. Problem is, he has no idea that his leading lady isn't the one and the same person he believes her to be. Unraveling this mess, is a funny, sometimes poignant journey to finding out just what love and attraction is really all about.

But why let me spoil the ending? Rent it, to see for yourself.

No comments:

 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs