Caller ID - How To Make Yourself More Annoying in One Easy Step

I'm still agitated over a phone call I got last night from the parent of one of KC's friends. It seems - and it does appear that this man may not be playing with a full deck - that someone in the upstate area rang his house a total of two times last evening and this gentleman through the powers of deductive reasoning - and because he knows that when KC calls his daughter it comes up as "PRIVATE" - decided he could automatically assume that the prank phone calls were eminating from my house. (And don't we all know the lovely little saying about what happens when you assume.)

Now for a moment, let's consider the word PRIVATE, and for all intents and purposes let's also try to imagine the amount of people who despise CallerID for the annoying telephone tool that it really is. I mean can you realistically come up with a number in your head for the millions of people who have opted - as I have - to make their number private rather than deal with the obsessive complusive I got to know who is calling me before I'll pick up my phone dependent kind of people.

But I wasn't in the mood last night to be either polite or friendly about it at all. I didn't like his tone. Let me say that again. I didn't like his tone one damn bit. Condescending and snide being the two adjectives that best sum up his voice as he explained why it must have been KC calling his house.

Now don't get me wrong, if KC had been guilty of the crime, I would have apologized to this gentleman and taken the necessary steps to correct the problem. However, the time frame that he was insisting on receiving these phone calls from my house, was absolutely impossible. I was on the phone talking with Sean.

But Father of the Year was still unconvinced. Hence the reason my agitation was close to being out of control for the duration of our conversation.

"Sir," I said interrupting him for the upteenth time, "It's absolutely impossible that it was KC pranking your house."

"But the number came up priv ..."

"And I only have one phone line, which I was on, and therefore it couldn't have been anyone here dialing you up." I said, my voice firm. "You know there are a lot of people out there who have private numbers, and there's no way to know what private number called you. So seeing that I've told you now that I was on the phone myself, you must conclude that some other private number is indeed the number that hung up on you and your wife. Have a pleasant evening. Goodbye."

God I hate stupid people!

No comments:

 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs