The Wheels On the Bus Go

When your child calls you at work hysterical in tears, you know you've got problems.

It seems rather than a pleasant ride home on the big yellow bus tonight, KC's journey took an unexpected turn when she was inadvertently mistaken as a human punching bag.

After a quick synopsis of what transpired, I immediately dialed the digits to her school.

The bully in question is evidently a known offender. At the mere mention of the boys name, the vice principal paused slightly, before following it with a very telling "Ah ..."

"I see you're familiar with this boys rap sheet," I wanted to say in a snarly tone, "What kind of heathens do you allow to ride the bus home?"

But I held my tongue and listened as he explained to me that he would do everything in his power to find out exactly what happened and bring the little perpetrator to justice.

But the whole incident brought up a question as I was driving home from work.

Despite my usual pacifist beliefs, I don't know how I feel about educating my child not to fight back when the situation calls for it. Which is not to say that I'd recommend that she pop the boy a good one in the kisser. All I'm saying is that I don't want my daughter growing up thinking that standing up for yourself and fighting back is wrong in every contex.

If you don't fight for yourself, no one else will.

No comments:

 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs