Well, I made it back all safe and sound, despite today's monsoon. I am even proud to say, that I didn't get lost once, on my way to the airport. Although, I have to come clean and admit, that I didn't make the trip alone. I convinced my sister Amy, that it would be an absolutely wonderful thing, if her kids went with me to greet Grandma off the plane. Don't think I was fooling anyone though, because I wasn't. She knew darn well, that I needed a small support group to make the drive easier. So instead of rubbing it in my face, she let it slip off her normally honed radar. Unusual but appreciated.

Next to KC, my niece Jordy (Jordan) is the apple of my eye. She's an absolute sweetheart, with the kind of smile that can make even the most mean curmudgeon, start singing a tune to make her happy. All the way to Albany we practiced saying "Hi Grandma Nancy", which ended up sounding more like Grandma Antsy, so that we could really impress my Mother. But nothing beat the kind of greeting that Jordy came up with all on her own.

Being as short as I am, I kept trying to stand on my tippy toes to spot my Mother coming down the hallway, after her flight had been annouced for arriving. A difficult feat, when considering that almost everyone around me seemed to be 6 foot or higher. But finally I spotted her, even though she continued to scan the crowd of other people's families for me ... Genetically speaking, I can attribute my lack of height to her, which is why when you can't tower over others, you develop special locating senses for such a scenario. Which of course, for me, is not a problem considering I've got a very healthy set of lungs and no shame for yelling out Mom in public places.

I let the kids hug her first since she hadn't expected them to be at the airport and it had been forever since she had last seen them. The last time when Jordy was only a year and a half old, compared to the very mature 3 she's at now. Just as we planned, Jordy welcomed Grandma back to New York, although it was what she did next that had almost everyone within our proximity smiling.

"Hi Mom.", I said, hugging her, before taking her bags into my own hands. Jordy looked up at me, as if she was surprised. "CC ... That's your Mom?", she asked, her little voice rising an octave. "Yes Jordy, this is my Mom, and your Grandma."

"That's MY Grandma?", she asked again, her face looking at my Mother with awe. "Yes.", I told her, "That's your Grandma." With that being settled, she did the cutest thing I have ever seen. She opened up her little arms as wide as she could, and wrapped them around my Mother in the biggest hug possible for such a wee little one and said one word that practically had the entire airport in tears, "My Grandma!" I'm telling you there was hardly a dry eye in the place, a true Kodak moment. Meanwhile, I instantly regretted not bringing the video camera that could have captured the $10,000 prize on that America's Videos show.

For the rest of the day, Jordy insisted on calling her "MY" Grandma. A title, I'm sure, won't go over to well with KC when she gets back home from her weekend at her Father's ... After all, that is HER Grandma.

I'm to bed. Goodnight Moon ...

No comments:

 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs