Chinese Fortune Cookies



It's time for you to explore all those new interests.

Lucky Numbers 8, 12, 14, 17, 36, 43

Braving a torrential downpour yesterday, I ran to the local # 1 Chinese Restaurant in town and grabbed myself a pint of chicken fried rice to go with a complimentary fortune cookie for dessert.  The little guy behind the counter - always very pleasant to me whenever I'm there - smiled his big toothy grin, and wished me luck as I headed back out into the monsoon, which almost made me feel bad about not leaving a tip in the giant gold piggy bank sitting next to the side of the register. 

Keys poised and ready, I dashed out onto the sidewalk and quickly made my way to my car, intent on opening the door before I (a.) melted, (b.) suffered from severe rain/wind/hair damage, or (c.) got hit by a passing car, making the morning headlines of "Local Girl Loses Life in Bizarre Lunch Time Accident", witnesses said to have heard last words … "I should have paid extra for delivery …"

Needless to say, I made it back in one piece and locked myself in my office to spend the rest of my lunch hour, switching between bites of rice and turning pages of Harry Potter book # 3, of which I am now quite addicted.

But it was the fortune cookie that really got me. 

I've been dreading work lately, like the way you dread the end of a Sunday night, knowing that the next day is Monday and there's a whole work week ahead of you.  Every night is like a Monday night for me.  And I know I've got the almost 5 year itch.  The time during which I'm fast approaching my earned three weeks of vacation, and suddenly and for no apparent reason I'm ready to move on in another direction and try something else on for size, having bored myself beyond comprehension in the mundane tasks of daily strife around the water cooler, with the thought - both quite crystal and clear - that I want out.

I may have said this a billion and one times before, but around here there is no room for creativity.  A fact I just can't seem to get over as I sit here stuck in my little windowless cube of a room, wondering what the weather must be like outside.  (And now I'm wondering, what is the weather like outside?  Though I have to admit, stuck here as I am, I always assume it's rainy and cloudy.  Although I think that is just a clever foil to trick myself into not minding the fact that I spend 8 hours a day trapped inside a cave … Then again, upstate New York (not the City people) and I do mean Upstate, has more than it's fair amount of miserable, gloomy, no the sun in not going to shine today day's.)

I am digressing.  The cat on my workstation is swatting at computer butterflies and my phone - as usual - is ringing.  The sound of duty calls, and I - unfortunately - must answer it.




No comments:

 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs