Somewhere Down a Deep Dark Well

Luciano sings my heart and comforts me when days go bad. And today has been bad. Bad enough to break out the Italian arias and sing with them full blast to relieve my soul of its irritation.

It's just a job. Just a job.

And yet today I lost my cool. Lost it to the point where I had to walk away from my phone, walk down the hall, past the reception desk, through the vestibule and outside, to take a breath of fresh air. Because I'd had enough. Just enough. Really quite more than enough.

Enough of the customers yelling and screaming at me for things I don't and can't control. Enough of lower level office staff pushing their egos a bit too far and way past my level of toleration. Enough of my boss who talks the big talk, but never seems to walk the big walk. Enough of a place where ethics are often misplaced. Enough of a job, which quite frankly if it didn't pay so well, I would have left a long time ago.

Violence does not work
except for the man
who pays your salary
Who knows
if you could still weep
you would not take the job.
~ Alice Walker


But it's the way of the world. Haven't we all learned that instead of sugar and honey, a little vinegar is what really helps you get your way? What is that other saying, some things are better in theory than they are in practice? Case in point. Game. Match.

But I wish that for just one moment, before someone lets something slip through their mouth, they'd take a moment to think before spewing their filth.

Words are dangerous creatures, unable to be called back once said. And even though you think, well she knows not to take it personally, this girl does, does take it personally. The girl who always does her best to get you what you need, the girl who is always pleasant and nice, the girl who you just ripped a new asshole. I bet you didn't think that when she went home she'd be carrying her anger with her. I bet you didn't think past the words once they made it off your tongue. But good God, am I still seething!

Enough. Enough. Enough. Home and job don't mix. I am off to bake brownies for KC's class picnic tomorrow. Damn if she refuses to heed my request to be the Mom who supplies the paper goods ...

No comments:

 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs