Field Trips and Long Conversations

Don't expect this to make any sense. Yawning as I am every other second and seriously considering turning in sometime very soon, I sometimes wonder why I try to write anything down when I'm tired beyond the point of rational thought.

And yet, I want to tell you all about my day today and the unexpected field trip Terri and I got to go on, complete with a company sponsored lunch with BM and Jake on our way there. It was total hands on training - which I've been begging to do for the past 2-1/2 years - although now that I think of it, I never was able to get my hands on any of the power tools ... Much to my chagrin I might add since I've got a can do complex.

Getting in and out of BM's super duper truck however was a challenge. For one thing it about six feet off the ground and void of running boards. A fact that I was well aware of even as I contemplated hoisting myself up and in without breaking my neck or my heels. Heels that make me tower over people at a whopping 5'2, two inches being all heel. So go ahead and imagine the comical scene that it was, because it was funny. Funnier yet was trying to figure out a way down when we got to the restaurant. Grabbing the oh shit handles, I finally came to the conclusion that sliding down slowly until my feet finally hit pavement was the only way to go. And despite the very loud laughing by my fellow coworkers followed by a nasty little look from me that promised future retribution, lunch was fun thank to BM's insightful commentary on the best and worst of public bathrooms. (Don't ask. We try not to.)

On the way back to work, late enough in the day to ensure that we wouldn't be back until just before it was time for me to clock out and go home, I opted to ride with Jake in order to pick his brain for a bit. Instead the boys decided a little drag racing was a good idea on a back country road which lasted all about 5 seconds until Jake decided his new tires were worth more than his manhood. (This is another one of those don't ask things.)

Anyhoo, Jake's been hinting for the last week that he was on to one of the secrets I've been keeping, trying to wear me down every day on the phone in order to get me to spill the beans. And while I could have continued playing stupid (sometimes it's not an act) I decided I might as well just get things out in the open.

But as fate would have it, he already knew. It seemed the moral majority that I spoke of in an earlier post decided to clue him in on my personal life as if she was the national inquirer. As if I'm really that newsworthy!

He did however make me promise on everything I hold dear that there would be no retaliation on my part ... Like I'd actually waste my time as if to bother, but still!

But it does quite burn me that she thought going behind my back to tell Jake of who she saw me with two Saturdays ago would somehow, I don't know, bust up our friendship or something. I have no idea what her point was and frankly, I couldn't really care. When it comes right down to it, I'm the one who has to be happy with the decisions I make and regardless of my other friends, I'm not going to be put in a position where I have to pick and choose between them (again).

So in the immortal words of someone who said it first, "It's all uphill from here baby."

3 comments:

Orbling said...

Now I would've quite liked to see that truck entrance/exit... ;)

Tyres are definitely worth more than manliness, but then most things are. God only knows what goes through the minds of men.

Good that you got some time out of the office. :)

KC said...

Feel free to clue me in on the mind of man. I could use a whole lot of help in that department.

Orbling said...

The minds of men are foreign to me aswell. Not quite so foreign as the minds of women, but still a fair distance from my shore.

Not quite sure why this is. I tell myself I'm something either more or less evolved, that understands nothing, and has the worst attributes of both.

 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs