Musical Motivation

I should be cleaning the living room.

I should be doing a load of laundry.

I should be taking a shower ... Anything really to prepare for the day ahead.

I should not be sitting on the couch clad in my red and white pajama pants and top sucking on a lozenge, earphones strapped to my head as I sing along with Tori's new album that I've already memorized word for word since obtaining my copy on Wednesday.

I just can't seem to help myself. I've been starved for so long waiting for new Tori music that I'm like an addict who can't put the CD down. And that's not even it, then I've got to find someone - much like Jake who is a fan of her himself - and discuss song after song. The tempo, the style, the key, the lyrics, the slight connections to songs on albums that came before. Slowly dissecting each one down to bare bones until I find that "A ha" moment when it all just clicks and I'm satisfied with what each one means to me.

And always there become quick favorites. The ones I will back track and listen to repeatedly to the point of knowing where each breath break occurs and the way she dips her voice on a particular note or word so that when I sing along I become seamless with the song.

I appreciate however that Tori is an acquired taste. Despite my best efforts, I have been unable to convince any of my sisters to give her an honest listen. Instead they humor me with one song, before prompting me to change out the CD or turn the radio back on. My older sister has even likened it to torture. Though I respond it may just be the sweetest kind. 19 current tracks worth.

Parasol
Sweet the Sting
The Power of Orange Knickers
Jamaica Inn
Barons of Suburbia
Sleeps with Butterflies
General Joy
Mother Revolution

Ribbons Undone
Cars and Guitars
Witness
Original Sinsuality
Ireland
The Beekeeper

Martha's Foolish Ginger
Hoochie Woman
Goodbye Pisces
Marys of the Sea
Toast
Garlands


Anyhoo motivation time is at hand. I have to (gulp) bake chocolate chip cookies with KC today and prepare ourselves for an afternoon outing with Ren and her own daughter. It should be a fun time ... That is, if I don't get lost on my way there. Ahh ... Have cell phone, will travel.

15 comments:

Orbling said...

Music always has priority over the trivialities of life.

I love that quality of an album that is wholly good. The way you change your mind about what song is best as often as you play it. When you would notice a single note change in any instrument in any song.

Wonderful.

[Hooray on the baking]

KC said...

It would be even better if you would give the new album a listen so I can have another sounding board ... :)

As for the baking thing, it didn't exactly turn out as well as I hoped. I think I may have put in a little bit more salt than was necessary. Their edible but only with copious amounts of milk to wash them down with.

Orbling said...

Hmm, chocolate chip cookies don't really need any salt. Maybe a *small* pinch... Oh well, I'm sure they're tasty. I like salt.

I'm sure I'll hear it eventually. Got a huge pile of parcels this morning, which included 5 audio CD's, so I'm working my way through them atm. :)

KC said...

Wow.

I used the wrong their (they're) ... So much for proof reading ...

The recipe called for a dash. Evidently I took it up a notch ...

KC of course took a few polite bites and then asked for ice cream for dessert.

I swear I'm taking the next baking class offered at the local night school!

Orbling said...

Well I'd say we could do the basics by mail....

[Although I just looked at the clock and realised I was burning a rice pudding.... Running away fast!!!!!]

[Back, phew, didn't burn it.]

Though sometimes you need to see a technique really, unless we are good with words, or use photos.

I'm happy to impart any knowledge I have that you want as you know.

Baking is confidence by the way, 75% at least - the rest is measuring. Baking is unforgiving of inaccurate measurements. (Hence why I think the american volumetric measurement system is not ideal for baking.)

Let me know.

KC said...

Oooh sign me up for the class ... Although I'm not sure how you've going to convey the lesson here.

I will however warn you I'm bad with numbers and the whole measuring thing ... Which is probably why I get in so much trouble with the eyeballing it method ...

Still it works when I'm cooking, so I don't understand why it doesn't work for baking.

Make the first lesson really easy. Like picking up the ingrediants at the market or something.

:)

Orbling said...

Will start to think on it, think of something you'd like to bake and we'll run through it gently.

First lesson is knowing what is important, and what isn't. Sort of do's and don't's....

Anyhow, I can handle me words reasonably, so we should be able to do it electronically. ;)

KC said...

Sounds kind of kinky ...

Blame the bad Stacey for saying that, good Stacey tried to talk her out of it.

Geesh!

Orbling said...

Where there is no fault, there is no blame.

Good and bad Stacey are equally appreciated. Half a Stacey is only half as interesting.

KC said...

What a sweet thing to say ... (If you only had a better idea of how my brain works. It's so toned down on here.) ;)

Bren and I are interested in learning to make cheesecake from scratch ... Perhaps this could be our first lesson?

Ugh ... Back to work. Remind me to tell you about the phone guy who shushed me today ... And he doesn't even work there!

Orbling said...

You shouldn't tone down the pretty colours, show them bold and further enrapture our eyes. :)

Cheesecake isn't too tricky to do, especially if you just use a canned topping, which is easiest. Can be a tad expensive to make, as the ones you buy are usually real cheap. Should be interesting.

Someone shushed you? Do we need to send flowers to a hospital? ;)

KC said...

Perhaps I should write about the temper tantrum I had tonight, complete with a major slamming of the door and a 4 wheel drive moment. (It's not pretty, though very colorful.)

I'm still reeling over the whole shush thing ... My favorite flowers are poppies. Send away.

Orbling said...

Whilst I'm sure you're in need of some flowers, I was more thinking of them for the shusher, who is no doubt recouperating in hospital now...

http://www.erunda.org/images/poppies.jpg

Poppies are certainly beautiful, though it would be considered an unusual choice here. It's our national flower of mourning for the war dead. We have an annual poppy day (11/11) where *everyone* wears once.

KC said...

Other than a raised eyebrow and a dark look, I let him live.

Hmmmm ... A bit of a downer on my poppies.

Orbling said...

The fact we use them to commemorate our dead doesn't make them any less beautiful. We get all the opiates from them too, they're still beautiful.

 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs