Living With the Lights On

Sometimes you Scorpios love the darkness, for the shadows can nurture the most powerful magic. Now you are presented with an opportunity to turn out the lights and explore these hidden realms. Remember that darkness is not evil; it's just more complicated than the visible realms. Bring the light of your consciousness into the most intense emotional shadows and let your awareness dissipate the fear.


And just last night I slept with the lights on, convinced that I was hearing all sorts of ominous noises. When I was KC's age, I used to smother myself under the blankets, leaving only the smallest amount of space open for fresh air and a way to peak out into the darkness of my room. My blankets had to be tucked securely under my feet and it was an unspoken rule that neither my legs or my arms were ever allowed outside the safety of the blanket. Bad things could happen if they did. Bad things like monsters in the closets, goblins under my bed, and giants with blood red eyeballs peering into my bedroom window late at night hungry for a snack.

I lived in fear. But as long as I was allowed my light on in the closet or the light on in the hall, I always felt more secure.

And then I discovered locks. Locks on doors were my best friends. And when I didn't have locks, I had dressers. Dressers I would push in front of the door each and every night before I could go to sleep. I often wonder if my Mother ever noticed the scraping noises ... Then again, I remember one particular night where my Mother decided to make brain slurping noises outside my door after we had finished watching some B level horror movie. I think I slept that night with the door locked, dresser in front of the door and the lights on.

The thing is I always thought that I would grow out of it at some point. The truth is, I haven't.

3 comments:

Coyote Girl said...

slurp, slurp...be afraid, be very afraid...............

KC said...

Way to go Mom ... You haven't brain slurped in so long ...

:)

Orbling said...

"I used to smother myself under the blankets, leaving only the smallest amount of space open for fresh air and a way to peak out into the darkness of my room. My blankets had to be tucked securely under my feet and it was an unspoken rule that neither my legs or my arms were ever allowed outside the safety of the blanket."

You too? I always used to roll myself up in the duvet like a fat cigar, either that or pin down all the corners with my limbs and poke just my eyes out. Lots of noises in the night.

That was with a bedside light on. Had one of those from when I was a baby till early teens. Fortunately, I had the best light in the world. An illuminated globe, with all the countries on it. Excellent way to learn about the world everynight. Plus you get a peaceful blue light over the room, due to the lovely oceans.

I don't have the lights on anymore, but still get scared if I here odd noises. These days I have to get up and investigate. :O

Had to chase off a couple of burglars once, they were mighty concerned when a bloke in a pair of jeans holding a table leg turned up next to them, asking them politely what they were up to.

Useful english blend of politeness and threat, confuses people, works a treat.

That darkness quote reminds me of Socrates' cave scenario in The Republic - have you read Plato? Excellent book that is.

Anyhow, no use hiding in the light. Shine your light, shine it bright.

 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs