Watching the Talkies

Somebody get me some toothpicks, I can barely keep my eyes open!

No seriously. I'm exhausted. Just got home a bit ago from Ren's house, and I might add that I made it there sans getting lost. (As in hopelessly.) Although I did get a bit nervous on the way home since I decided to try an alternate route. (What the hell was I thinking? I'm no Marco Polo!) And considering my sense of direction (nil really) this was a big "can do" moment for me. As in can actually do it and figure out where I am despite the darkness. So a big huzzah to me. Yay me!

KC had a great time playing with Ren's daughter (same age) while we (being the "grown ups") watched movies or rather talked all the way through them. Being the annoying movie watcher that I am (hence the reason people run from the mere thought of watching them with me) I spent 2 hours trying to figure out the odd plot of The Forgotten and another 2 (seemed more like 4) hours groaning my way through Something's Gotta Give.

Of which I've come to a few conclusions on ...

1. Alternate endings are pointless because they never end the way you would have them really end. (Like with something that makes some sort of freaking sense!)

2. It was completely unnecessary to have a gratuitous ass shot of Jack Nicholson! And much more to the point where was my parental warning? My eyes nearly fell out of my head!

3. Diane Keaton's gratuitous boob shot ... Nope, didn't need to see that either. Although I give them both mad props for dropping trow the way they did.

4. The only time we actually liked SGG was when Diane Keaton's character was balling her eyes out over Jack. Ren and I decided we could more than relate.

5. However the best line out of the entire movie was the scene when Jack believes he has lost any chance he has of living happily ever after with Diane and says, "Now look who gets to be the girl." (Okay ... That may not be exactly how he said it, it's not like I have the movie in front of me cued to that exact moment, but it's pretty damn close!)

I told Ren I thought it was a very profound moment in the movie ... (And anyone who has read this blog is going to know exactly what I'm getting at here.)

"Hah!" I said to Ren, "If only every man could have that little a ha moment. I mean, seriously ... It's so unfair being the girl! Do you know how long it takes some of us (understood as me) to get over these things? I mean do they have any idea what they do to our psyche? There should be laws for God's sake!"

"Absolutely," she said. "But you have to take it into account though that some of the guys have gotten just as burned by their ex's as we have, which is why they do it to us before we can do it to them."

"But you see that's exactly the problem! Why can't everyone just be honest about the whole damn thing? Relationships don't have to be nearly as hard as people make them out to be, you just have to know how to be an adult in one. None of this saying what people want to hear shit but telling it like it is rather than prolonging the drama. Say for instance you're dating a guy and you think everything is just hunkey dorey and then WHAM - from left field he says I don't feel the same way about you as I think you feel about me. Wouldn't it have been a hell of a lot easier for him to figure this out prior to wasting almost six months of your time?"

"Getting a bit biographical there Yecats?" She asked raising her eyebrow.

"Shut up. I can't hear the movie ..."

10 comments:

Orbling said...

Talking through movies.... evil, evil I tell thee. Though it's not too awful if it's only whilst not in a theatre...

Not seen Something's Gotta Give, will do so eventually I suppose. The Forgotten was reasonable, bit of an x-files cover, same sort of story.

Men rarely have a-ha moments, because they don't spend the same amount of time soul-searching as women do. [Do you know I had to correct to women from we there, must get a grip...]

However, I would say that the following line:

"do they have any idea what they do to our psyche?"

Has been said to me by many, many a man. Men consider women the bane of their existance, because no matter what they do they can't understand them, but feel utterly compelled to try.

Honesty is essential, but it can not in itself force understanding.

C'est l'amor fou...

Coyote Girl said...

any chance I'm going to get some pictures as a VERY bealted birthday gift? Or belated Valentine? Or belated, caring daughter shares with mother...???

KC said...

I absolutely do talk through movies, except maybe not so much in the actual theatre unless I think the movie is extra bad and then I just can't seem to help myself and I have to purge my system of my opinions ...

I'd offer to answer your questions on the whole minds of women thing, but I have a fear mine works far different than your average girl.
I'm an odd duck. Oy.

And who is this YM character badgering me for pictures? Patience is supposed to be a virtue! And now I can see why I don't posess it ... I mean come on now, it's only been how many months since November?

:) Heh, heh, heh ... Good thing she can't still ground me.

Mom, you are so the wind beneath my wings ... Pics coming via carrier pigeon.

Orbling said...

Think Swan is more your speed...

Ah, true love, having your pictures delivered by avian courier. ;)

KC said...

My speed is actually very slow, more like a penquins waddle when on land.

Ask my Mom (aka YM - "Your Mother") and she'll give you the complete Stacey history (I'll get to that eventually) of procrastination. (It's a long list.)

I often mean well, but I blame my artistic side for sidetracking me all the time. (Lame but true.)

Hmmm ... Swan. I like that. Much better than the silly goose I've been likened to.

Orbling said...

Procrastination is no great sin in my book, I'm the master at that. Never do today what can be put off to tomorrow. Or in my case, indefinitely.

I blame my capacity to daydream, and my constant internal monologue for distracting me.

Does have it's downsides, rather a lot of them, but it's part of our character, so can't be all bad.

Silly goose? Never. Perhaps a signet once.

KC said...

It once took me over a year to finish painting my entire room and when it did get finished, it was only because my Dad finally took pity on me and did it for me.

(My room is a deep chocolate brown color which required 3 coats to get it to be just right. I managed to paint 3/4 of the room by myself and then gave up on doing the rest. Like I said above, one year later, Dad fixed that little problem for me.)

Orbling said...

Well that's at least 3/4 further than I would've got...

My procrastination gets down to the level of not starting anything, ever. At least not deliberately. Except talking, I don't normally delay starting that, though I have been known to delay stopping it.

KC said...

I am all for talking ...

Orbling said...

Glad to hear it, otherwise you'd detest me.

Words are the only tool I'd never be without.

 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs