Operation: Plant Rescue

If I had a million dollars, I still wouldn't be able to explain some of the women in my office. The type of women who run out to the store at lunch time and bring back a helpless baby plant, revel in its beauty for the first few days and then completely abandon it to a dusty corner of their desk where they forget the whole premise of watering for weeks on end. And it's only when the plant is near death, that it mysteriously appears somewhere in the lobby, where a passerby such as myself wonders how it ever got to such a desperate state.

As I was walking back from the kitchen, brown bag in hand to enjoy a quiet lunch in my office alone, I found my attention suddenly diverted to a lonely little plant sitting on the front counter, leaves wilted and lifeless, very close to deaths door. No one in the front office seemed to know whose plant it was, all they knew is that it had been there for a while, and it seemed to be dying. "No, really?" I wanted to say sarcastically, though I managed to hold my tongue, scooping up the small plant at the same time and taking it with me to my office.

Now I'm not at all ashamed to admit that I take pride in talking to plants, and so it was with an encouraging everything is going to be okay pep talk to the primrose in my hands, that I gently turned it's leaves green side up, placed it in the spot of fluorescent honor in my office and doused it with a healthy drink of water straight from my own bottle.

With patience and time all you need to set a right to wrong, within hours the wilted leaves had regained their composure, their tender limbs reaching skyward once more. And so I've adopted yet another plant to add to my office size version of Sherwood Forest. I guess I'm just the resident green thumb.

** Un-known Stacey factoid **

When Stacey was a small child, she asked her mother if she could plant a flower garden of her own. Her Mother of course said yes, but was more than a little bit surprised when Stacey later called her out to see her creation. Expecting to see only a plot of dirt freshly watered, you can imagine her reaction when she found full size marigolds sticking out from the ground, as if they'd been there for years. Upon inquiry as to Stacey's amazing garden skills, she soon learned that her young daughter had rode her bike two houses down to the neighbors flower box where she plucked the plants - roots and all - loaded them into her daisy basket connected to the handlebars and then proceeded to plant her garden.

4 comments:

Orbling said...

You should never be ashames to admit that!

Green fingers are one of the best attributes people can have. What could be a better accolade for a person than saying they are good at helping life to grow? Plus it shows patience, and a care for nature.

My house is actually a scaled down [possibly up] version of a forest, possibly of type 'rain'. The number of plants is something bordering on the ridiculous. Personally, I'm a tree person, so we have lots of baby, and not so baby, trees everywhere.

My mum let me and my brother have our own section of the garden when we were younger. We grew lots of lovely flowers, and bushy things, and vegetables, and fruit. Mind you, I was never so enterprising as your good self. ;)

KC said...

At one point in my life, I seriously considered the thought of becoming a florist.

Orbling said...

Still time...

You're only young.

KC said...

Very true ... And yet I still have difficulty on figuring out what I want to be when I grow up ...

 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs