It seems everybody has issues.

KC and I, on a quick weekend jaunt to the sale at Penny's, couldn't help but overhear a conversation between a woman and her mother, as they were perusing the sale racks.

The woman was visibly upset, grabbing random garments of assorted colors and tossing them at her mother.

"These are the kind of clothes I want to buy my daughter!" she shouted. "But I can't! I can't afford to!"

Her mother grabbed her arm, whispering for her to hush, as she embarrassedly watched everyone else watching them.

"No! I won't hush! It's because of HIM that my daughter can't have nice clothes. It's because of HIM that I can't provide my daughter with the things she needs!"

It was like watching a train wreck, with all eyes drawn to the commotion. Silent, we could only watch.

So I stood there, not meaning to stare, but unable to turn away, as familiar emotions flashed across her face. I felt guilty, as if she were eyeing me, cataloging the items I held in my hands, the pretty chenille sweaters, the new denim jeans we were about to purchase. But I couldn't move, almost as if I were rooted to the spot.

I'd been there once.

Been the angry young girl standing in the middle of a store, not caring whether or not I was causing a scene. Felt the same raw pain, frustration and anger. The injustice over a situation beyond my control, dealing with the hand that only fate could give.

I didn't envy the position she found herself in, the new hurt that had yet to heal, the dream she was slowly realizing was shattering around her.

It's a scary thing when you realize that you're about to go it alone. I remembered dreading the nights, when all there was, was time to think. A child myself, I'd look at the sleeping baby in my arms and wonder how it was I was going to take care of her, when I was barely making it through the day taking care of me.

I thought I failed my daughter.

But there was nothing I could have done to stop her father from abandoning us, his faithlessness paved the way for his departure. But instead of blaming him, I blamed myself. Looking inside to find the things that were wrong with me as the reason why he couldn't stay. Back then, it never occurred to me that he was the one who failed us both. He was the one who made the choice to leave and not look back.

I was simply left holding the baby.

Hearing her outburst in the store brought it all back, and I was tempted to reach out to her and tell her that it wasn't as hopeless as it seemed. I wanted to tell her that though the tunnel was long, there would indeed be light at the end of it.

But it wasn't my place.

Some things are meant to be learned on your own. And it takes reaching that point in your life when you say I'm going to do what I have to do, simply because it needs to be done, for you to make it through the hard parts.

Though she didn't know it, I wished her well on her journey, as I took KC's hand in mine.

Some things are worth the struggle.

No comments:

 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs