For Tonight, The Words of Someone Else

Coming Home


You are coming home at night:
you pass from light to light,
walking around the block,
and your shadow swings to the right
the way a second hand
goes round a modern clock,
and other shadows, bound
to your footsteps, climb the walls,
or jerk along the pavement,
and some contrast and darken,
others lengthen and fade.

The lights are various loves
by whom you find your way,
by whom you see and move:
they lend you guidance, they
enable you to find
not only house and door,
and wall and window-blind,
but something less and more,
your image, multiplied,
cast for your gaze, and thrown
distorted, but your own.

And what you need the most,
O walker in the night,
is to continue, sure
the self is always right,
and neither caricature,
nor unavailing ghost.

And if a light is broken,
if one of them goes out,
as well they may, of course,
and substance takes from shadow
its absolute divorce,
be reassured, in darkness,
the self is never lost.


Rolfe Humphries

7 comments:

Orbling said...

That was beautiful, spoke to me that did.

I've often viewed those that I love as lights to me, shining through my darkness.

Ever read Plato? It's like Socrates metaphor of the man in the cave...

Definitely a night walker...

KC said...

I read this poem and fell in love with it, reciting it a few times out loud before I decided that it belonged on the blog.

There's an interesting rhythm to it and a general rightness of words that gave me a good feeling.

I believe I've read Plato but nothing in depth and not that I can remember.

Shameful isn't it?

KC said...

You got kicked out in college too? I thought it was Mrs. Adams class in our junior year of high school?

I could have sworn I got in trouble for flashing you that sign from the window of her class ...

Hmmm ... Or was that the English class where I sat behind Daryn (sigh) and stared at the freckle on the back of his neck for 3 hours?

Orbling said...

You're right, it has a wonderfully natural flow to it, very melodic - I wonder if someone has set it to music?

Hmm, I should mail it to some composers and see if they can work something out.

Can't be shameful, hardly anyone has read any stuff that old as it is. Worth doing though, the old classics are classics for a reason. You don't last 2500 years in print if you were rubbish. ;)

So I fully expect to be reading your book in 4500 AD!

That Prof was definitely a jerk Bren. People shouldn't get kicked out of classes for anything other than obstructing the lesson. *Certainly* not for that reason. I had a Religious Studies teacher that always used to kick me out of class before I even sat down every week, because I never did my homework. Wasn't going to work for someone that was a pain. Always got an A+ after I changed teacher. That showed'em. ;)

KC said...

4500 AD?

Is that when it will finally be finished? Or is that when my blog get accidentally rediscovered in some ancient computer somewhere?

Maybe I need to take a visit to the library and look up some of the real classics.

Orbling said...

One would hope it'll be finished a little sooner than that.

Just stating that like all good classics it's popularity will last for thousands of years. Hopefully. :)

KC said...

One can dream. (I hope)

 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs