To Bed Without Dinner

In bed without dinner. Without distraction. With plenty of time to think about her choices, the way she handles a situation, her reactions to simple requests.

I can't see my living room floor and yet I know it's there. I saw it yesterday, right before KC came home from her Dad's. It was definitely there. But now it's gone, lost beneath a pile of papers and a pile of laundry that just suddenly appeared as if it were conjured from thin air. I raise my eyes to the ceiling to get my bearings. It would be nice to have a floor as clean as the ceiling, a large expanse of white, wonderful white, clean white.

Could you just pick up your papers please? A simple request. Could you please lend a hand, help out a bit, tidy up after yourself, realize that the floor is not a giant garbage can? Anything really. Can you do anything to clear the clutter?

I get a cross look and a heavy sigh, an I can't believe she's bugging me now when my favorite cartoon is on sort of look. You've had a long day at school. I should realize you're tired. And where is dinner? Why isn't it ready yet?

My reverie is interrupted. A note down the stairs. The patter of little feet, a noisy give away that someone is out of her room. I should be angry you've broken the rules, I should go upstairs an explain that time out means time out and not time to sneak down the stairs and flutter down a note. And yet I smile. My daughter is sending me a love letter.

Are you seriously going to starve your child? That's the worst thing a Mom could do. I'm sorry for my attitude. Please change your mind.
KC


It's my turn to roll my eyes. Starving is not a granola bar which you ate in the car on the way home from Grandpa's; the glass of milk you had after school.

Baked chicken, sweet peas, shoe string fries and applesauce - far from a four star meal but edible on a Monday night.

In a moment I will call you down from exile and invite you to the table. Already I am picturing the generous amount of peas on your plate. A mother's revenge. Albeit a small one since you happen to like the little green dots. Still it makes me feel as if I'm getting even. I'm not supposed to feel that way, but I do. Sometimes you drive me crazy.

5 comments:

Orbling said...

How comes everyone's a mum? I wannabe one.... [wahhh]

Nice little note from her though. Even if she could do with understanding the definition of starving. A word that is heavily overused in the west.

The nearest I got was when I was about 2, and I wouldn't eat my peas. My mum refused to let me eat anything else till I had them, in a desperate attempt to break my iron will on the matter of vegetables. 2-3 days later she caved before me. She should've held out longer, I went most of my life without any veg.

Mind you my stubborness is legendary, I might've died before giving in, it's hard to tell - I've mellowed.

Reama said...

I can't wait till I'm a mom. Okay, I can, but I'm excited about it... so I can have some cute kid like that one. Lucky you...
Ream

KC said...

My daughter is living proof that what goes around comes around. (I'm sure all my parents are quite pleased to see that my little apple didn't fall far from the tree.) Payback?

GL ... I love being a Mom, although there are times I'd like to run away. (Well, at least for an hour or two.)

Orb ... You can be whatever you want to be. All you have to do is believe. As for your stubborness, I requite examples. Feel free to divulge all your secrets here. I promise not to tell anyone. :)

Tex ... It's okay to take your time with the kid thing. I promise the fun will be waiting for you when you're ready. Although I should probably tell you that I am famous for saying, "Cuteness wears off."

ST ... My parents enjoy my daughter, but I think they enjoy it more when she goes home. :) Then again, my Dad has been lending a hand with her since she was born and there are times when she's more a Grandpa's girl rather than a Mommy's girl.

Hope you're all having a good night. We're getting dumped on with some lake effect snow and I'm seriously considering moving somewhere warm sometime soon.

Orbling said...

I can be whatever I want to be?

Don't think even my stubborness will be able to make me a housewife....

I'll have to believe harder.

KC said...

Okay ... So maybe that was a bit of a stretch with the whole believing thing, but I was trying to maintain a positive attitude, so one can't really blame me at all. At least I think they can't.

 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs