Temper, Temper

I am an evil neighbor magnet. Evil neighbors flock to me. And it's grossly unfair dammit!

Evilness is apartment four and her penchant for visitors each and every single day of the week. Now I'm not against having company over - as long as they call ahead and give me time to throw shit in the closet - but I'm considerate enough to ask my company to do one major thing when visiting. I ask them to park in the outer spaces of the driveway so that they don't take a spot of someone who lives here.

I like to think of it as a common courtesy. The nice neighbor thing you do when you're sharing space with other people. I don't need a memo from the landlord to remind me to be respectful and considerate, I simply am.

And yet, the mad hatter in number four is completely clueless. Tonight I came home with a car load full of groceries, an exhausted danced out daughter and feet as cold and as wet as an iceberg in the Artic, only to find that not one but two cars of non-townhouse dwelling people were parked in my spot and Bob's spot, the two closets spots to the house and our doors.

To say I was mad would be downplaying things. I was pissed like you wouldn't believe. And mostly because we have repeatedly asked and spoken with Cruella to inform her guests about not parking in our spots. Now it may seem a bit trivial, but trust me, when the snow is knee deep and you've got over twenty bags of groceries, only two arms to carry them with and two inch heels on, you get a wee bit upset when some idiot is parked in your space.

Therefore my driveway rage could not be helped.

And so I did the only thing I could think of to do. (Keeping in mind that my daughter is impressionable didn't help much with holding back the tantrum.) Coming into the driveway at a slow crawl, I aimed my vehicle and my bright lights directly at the offending woman's front window, followed by a held down honk of the horn meant as a get off your ass and move your car hint. (A hint she didn't take.) Realizing she wasn't going to correct things, I pulled into Sheila's designated space, unloaded KC and the first set of groceries from the car and struggled my way inside.

"Kace," I said to my daughter as I set the bags inside the front door, "I want you to take these bags to the kitchen while I go back out to get the rest."

"Are you going to go knock on her door, Mom?" she asked.

"Not tonight. I don't think that would be a very good idea right now. Now stand back from the door, Mommy has a point to make and it's going to be loud." And with that, I slammed my door shut hard enough to make the house shake.

Yet even that didn't draw the evil woman out of her hole. And so I stomped back and forth through the snow, one bag after another schelpping my way as quickly as possible before going back out one final time to move my car. I couldn't after all steal Sheila's space just because someone had stolen mine.

But I couldn't quite shake the feeling that a lesson needed to be learned somehow. For a moment, I considered parking my vehicle in front of the offending cars, thereby making their leaving impossible without knocking on my door and asking me to move. And though this was the option I really wanted to choose, I decided against it, more worried that someone would back up into my car to make their own point. I wasn't going to risk it.

So I did the next best thing ...

This is the part where I should probably explain that I do have a penchant to be a major bitch when I feel like I'm in the right on something. In fact, speaking astrologically as we have been, it's exactly what any Scorpio would do. Revenge first, questions later.

In my case, possessed with the power of 4 wheel drive and the balls to back it up - figuratively and not literally - I backed my vehicle up over the unplowed area of snow and squeezed myself beside one of the cars, leaving no room for the driver of the other car to be able to shimmy inside without entering from the passenger side.

How many of you out there are completely shocked?

I was completely immature and I loved it. Loved it to the point that when I heard her company leave, I opened up my front door and took in the fiasco without any shame.

(Sorry this isn't fine tuned for corrections tonight, I'm a bit done it from the day.)

10 comments:

Orbling said...

I don't think that was an unreasonable course of action. That's minor to similar rage outbursts I've seen.

Slashing the tyres is quite popular, though not if they're in your space as that just prolongs things. It depends how much you want to make the point I guess. :S

If someone parks in front of our driveway, my dad just rocks there car up and down till their alarm goes off. Repeat until driver appears. :)

L said...

*I* have been known to let the air out of not one but two tires if someone parks in my spot. Then again, I also have the option of having the offender towed ... depends on my mood. I'm proud of you in an odd sort of way!

KC said...

Aside from harming someone's property - which for the record, I would never do. I do sort of, kind of regret losing my cool last night ... Not that I feel in the least bit bad towards my neighbor and her company but because it wasn't exactly the best foot to put forward with KC on deck. Besides, once you start that kind of war, you either become a Hatfield or a McCoy.

Bren ... Now why must you call me out in front of all these good people. To clear up some of the confusion however, I will say that we did indeed have a chat with the landlord months ago about the parking lot situation. Said landlord then agreed to have a talk with #4 regarding parking.

Suffice it to say, that conversation either (a) didn't happen (b) went in one ear and out the other or (c)was said to the wrong person. I have no idea ...

The thing is this, if #4 wanted to be a pain in the ass and park in my spot until the end of time, I would eventually move on and get over it. However (and this is the big one) when someone, and when I say someone I am referring to at least 2 to 3 cars on a DAILY BASIS park in my spot, Bob's spot, and the next two spots over leaving me to park pratically in the road when I get home, I have a BIG PROBLEM with it.

I pay rent and part of that rent should ensure me a parking spot within walking distance of my front door. And yes, I think living here for almost 10 years should also come with a few perks.

Besides back information on the crazy lady in $4 ... Don't you remember her? She used to live behind my house in the "village" when we we're growing up, and I used to babysit her kids, except for the oldest who was our age but shorter, way shorter.

She had a screw loose then and she's got more than a few loose now. And to go on with the story here, she lived here before ... As in a few years ago before she was evicted for almost burning the place down. They took her away in one of those crazy people jackets, flashing lights, sirens, the works ...

So does it all really matter? In the long run probably not ... In the summer time, not much at all ... But in the winter time, when they barely plow our driveway as it is, oh yeah, I'm going to be one big bitch about it.

And Sheila, Bob, and Jeff all appreciate it when you kindly park in the outer spots. The four of us have managed quite well with each other just by being considerate ... If #4 could do the same, there wouldn't be a problem.
(Ahhh, it makes me really miss Mike whose moving out allowed her to move back in.)

So I agree that we disagree on this one ... To each their own I guess.

And don't be a ninny. Am I still your friend? Are you serious? I can't think of anyone else on this planet (not counting my family) who would have the temerity to put up with me and my quirks for this long and of course the foreseeable future.

Duh!

KC said...

As much as the thought of slashing tires amuses me, there's no way I would ever do anything even remotely like it ... My way of getting even is generally not illegal or destructive.

That being said, I wrote a much longer version of this answer which was lost to the Blogger underworld when I pressed the publish button ... So as not to type the book all over again, I'll shorten it down.

1. The landlord was supposed to talk with #4 months ago regarding the parking lot situation, and the consideration of other tenants in regard to guest parking.

2. Living here for 10 years ought to have some perks ... Especially when considering that it's not like they've put any money into this place since I moved in. (And it really, really needs it!)

3. This is not the first time #4 has lived here and in the same apartment no less! Perhaps it would help to know that she was evicted her first time around (over 4 years ago) and was only able to move back because our landlord sold off to someone else.

4. Consideration, consideration, consideration. Life isn't perfect, allowances can be made, but if you make a nuisance of yourself, you hardly stand to gain friends and/or a popular following.

And last but not least, I'd hardly consider you logging in with a comment and an opinion that is different from mine, grounds to terminate a friendship which has lasted far longer than our guidance counselor said it would.

I may not be right. I may not be wrong. But damn if I'm not opinionated!

KC said...

Ooops ... It seems it did post the first time around. Oh well, I'm leaving it all there.

Orbling said...

A little consideration goes such a long way. The little things that stress us out make us behave worse to others. Like the little butterfly effects, small acts of kindness filter out to large scale love.

KC said...

If only kindness were mandatory.

Orbling said...

I was always brought up to think that it was.

Mike said...

This means war!

Kisses,
People in Apt #4

KC said...

Bring it on #4. I know where your doormat is, and I know how to bury it under the snow.

Hugs,
Stacey

 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs