A Rush to Disaster

7:27 a.m.

Five minutes away from work, three minutes to get there on time. I can make it I thought. No problem. Just a little more gas and I'll have this engine purring like a kitten. Burning up, I reached for the controls, adjusting the level of heat from hot to cold, flicking another button to roll my window down a crack. I turned the music up a little louder, singing along as the scenery blurred before me.

7:28 a.m.

Dust clouds spitting up behind me, I let my foot off the gas and began to brake for the stop sign in front of me, noting as I did another truck quickly approaching from the left of the intersection. I was prepared to stop. And yet all of a sudden I wasn't, pulling hard to the right instead as my wheels spun out of control. Instinct guided my hands to turn the steering wheels away from the direction of the slide and the immediate response of the antilock brakes jerked me in my seat as my belt tightened around me.

All in the space of a few seconds, I could see how dangerously close I was to the intersection and the other driver who was probably praying I would stop in time as well.

7:29 a.m.

Rolling to a stop on the other side of the road, twisted at an odd angle to the direction I had been going in, I sat there quiet, hands gone white on the steering wheel, my face drained of color, simply glad to be in one piece. Black ice, I thought to myself. Fourteen years worth of driving experience, and I'd never come across such a patch before. This one had my name on it.

And though I could have sat there all day, trying to pull myself together from way too close a call, the car approaching from behind me was all the incentive I needed to right myself and continue on down the road, albeit at a much slower pace than before.

11 comments:

Orbling said...

Arrrgh, please God be careful Stacey.

That was far too close for comfort, and I'm not prepared to lose you this young. Nor is anyone else.

I knew there was a good reason I avoided driving.

Coyote Girl said...

I's sitting at my desk at work with tears streaming down my face...the car angel I gave you is to serve as a reminder that I love you (as many others do) and that all of us expect you to value your time here and that means slowing down, leaving for work on time or if running late, be late, but most of all, be careful.I hope the avoidance of a disaster in the making gives you pause and makes way to reflection when the enormity of a near miss hits you...Please take care.

KC said...

Trust me when I tell you that I learned a very valuable lesson yesterday. My foot has been given a severe talking to about abusing its pedal power ...

Mom ... I had to delete your last comment. Not that it didn't make perfect sense, but because it contained a little too much information on my personal where abouts ... One must strive for some sort of anonymity.

With that being said, I must get back to work. I only stopped home long enough to take KC back to school from her dental cleaning (can I get a woo woo?) and grab something to take back for lunch.

I will however take my time about the getting back.

Orbling said...

Your mum is, as ever, right.

There is only one type of being late that truly matters and needs to be avoided - the rest doesn't matter.

To paraphrase a common expression...

'Live slow, die old. Get to see your children's children grow up.'

Darn sight better deal than the other version.

Besides, you haven't finished your masterpiece yet! ;)

KC said...

Consider me a snail ... I've learned my lesson about slowing it down a bit.

As for the masterpiece, I think I need an assistant. Any volunteers?

Orbling said...

As I'm somewhat petrified of gastropods, I'll morph that statement to a tortoise - same principles but wiser and more robust. :)

A masterpiece can not be worked on by an assistant. Best we can do is carry your burdens.

A task that we constantly try to engage in. :)

KC said...

Snails are a little bit on the nasty side aren't they? May have to change my mind about comparing myself to one ... Hmmmm.

Coyote Girl said...

I don't think you needed to delete the fact that it is 8+ miles to your place of employment and that the estimated drive time is 13+ minutes as opposed to the 5 you reported...just want your readers to know that you have been a lead foot since attaining your driver's license so that they may council you in the error of your ways...love always.

KC said...

With the delete key, it's all or nothing. And since the directions you posted gave town name locations, I didn't really have a choice other than to delete it all. Sorry about that, but there it is.

I've not denied my penchant for having a lead foot, but I am working on it. :)

Orbling said...

As I just posted to another friends log, the traffic speed in London is quite different...

8 miles in 13 minutes? In the morning commuter period? LOL

Here that could take over an hour easily.

5 minutes! 8/(5/60) = 96mph!!

Right, I'll buy you a new foot... where's that eBay...

Snails I don't hate, they are just so fragile, and therefore, I'm scared of hurting them. Which makes me petrified to walk near them, especially if it's dark and I can't see them clearly.

KC said...

Snails kind of scare me, especially if I don't see them first.

:)

Stop doing the math on how fast I was driving ... It will only give my Mom more reason to chastise me. (Though rightly deserved.)

 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs