Woes of Motherhood

"When I'm sixteen, I'm moving out!"

"I hope you find a really nice place then," I said, throwing my jacket over my arm as I scanned the stairs for my car keys. Bundled in her jacket, my daughter stood by the door, her face set in an angry pout while her boot clad feet scuffed back and forth on the carpet.

"I want to go now," she huffed.

"We'll leave when you apologize."

"Sorry," she snapped. "Now can we go?"

I held my breath and counted to ten. A slow count even though I was already running late for work.

"When you say sorry like that, it doesn't count. You have to mean it."

"Well I don't know why you have to ask me all those stupid questions anyway. I'm not a baby you know!"

"As shown by your current behavior?" I asked blandly, watching her hands reaching for the door. I leaned against it.

"Mom! I'm going to be late for school!"

"And I'm going to be late for work. But it seems we need to have a conversation." She attempted to speak. "Let me rephrase that. I'm going to talk, you're going to listen."

She clapped her hands over her ears.

"Well, that's going to make it difficult but not impossible," I said, "I've got all day you know. I don't have to go to work. I could call in and we could stand here all day until you decide you'd like to listen."

I could see the look of horror flash across her face. Stubborness recognizing stubborness. Two mules ramming their heads together could not have been a clearer picture of her and I.

"The reason Mommy asks you all those questions in the morning is because I want to make sure you have everything you need and you haven't forgotten anything. It's what Mom's do. Mom's ask questions to get answers. To make sure you've packed your sneakers in your bag, to make sure you've remembered to put your homework in the folder, to remind you to pack your lunch money. It's my job. It's what I live to do. It's my lifelong mission. It's my reason for breathing. It's ..."

"Mom?"

"Yeah?"

"How long are you going to be asking me this stuff?"

"As long as I'm your Mother ..."

6 comments:

Orbling said...

The Joys of Motherhood are more or less the same.

You'll miss those moments once she's gone...

...and so will she.

I always out stubborned all of my family, which takes some doing. I'm a throughbred.

KC said...

I wouldn't trade her in for the world.

I just wish things weren't always so much of a battle sometimes. It makes me wonder if its a precursor to what we have to look forward to during the tumultuous teenage years. How are we ever going to survive intact?

Argh! I need sleep.

Unknown said...

Hey Stacey, just wanted to remind you of the story you told me about a certain young lady playing Strawberry Shortcake records full blast in protest. Not that the situation is the same...but I think the ages were similar and if you stay in touch with that memory you'll always be able to complete that count to ten, with regards to your daughter that is. :) I'm proud to have such a great Mom as a friend. Still...I hope the cats behave...for their sakes.

Orbling said...

Battles build our character. What would she be without that defiance?

Probably the same as you would be without yours.

Neither should be traded in for any celestial body.

Coyote Girl said...

Hmmm- somehow the story is familiar although the names have changed...I do believe you have passed on the stubborn gene from the English side of your family tree. And I do believe your little English walnut is going to be hard to crack during those upcoming, "blissful" adolescent trials and tribulations. Hang on - the ride's going to be a wild one!

Orbling said...

We English are like our Oaks, unyielding, solid, old and frequently cantankerous.

Our little acorns grow up to be just the same. :)

 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs