The Terrible Tooth

When it comes to pain, I'm not exactly a big fan of it. I may not faint at the sight of blood, and I may be used to a phlebotomist tearing up my arm in order to hit a vein, and I may be the proud wearer of a tattoo which took over 2-1/2 hours the first time, and then another hour the second, but when it comes to tooth pain, someone needs to hand me a sledgehammer and clear the room.

I've come to the conclusion that I can understand why people go absolutely crazy from something as simple sounding as a toothache. Because it's not just a toothache. It's a full blown war inside your mouth that throbs and jabs and shoots all sorts of horrible pain to every part of your body, particularly your ears.

I was in such agony last night I ransacked my cupboards looking for any sort of medication I thought might dull the pain, crying like a schoolgirl pushed off the high end of a teeter totter as I did. The worse part however was the lateness of the hour and the complete exhaustion I felt after having tidied up the house all day, refereed countless arguments between KC and her cousin Jay - who take sheer joy in tormenting each other for no other reason than to drive me insane, albeit not slowly - and making a nice riggie dinner to celebrate Easter at my house with only the kids, my Dad and myself in attendance since everyone else was either away or working. All I wanted was to close my eyes and fall asleep, losing myself in that blissful moment of head hitting the pillow, eyes closing slowly and that soft, gentle glide into slumber.

Tooth pain however doesn't take naps and instead of enjoying the relaxation that normally is my love affair with sleep, the pain wrapped its ribbons around me. Climbing from my bed, I tried an excessively hot shower, perhaps thinking that a good scald would take my mind off my teeth, only to exit with bright pink skin, soggy hair, and pretty much the same pain as before. Damn! Didn't work, I thought. Depressing.

Long story short, I eventually managed to medicate to the point where sleep grudgingly decided to grace me with a little peace, though it was half sitting up on my couch with barely a blanket to keep me warm and the promise of a neck crink come morning. (Sigh.)

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh God, not mouth pain...anything but that...or ear pain for that matter. I am so very sorry for you, there is absolutely nothing worse in my book. I hope you feel better very soon!

KC said...

Lilly ... I know what you mean about the needing sedation thing. As much as my tooth hurts like hell, there's also a part of me that wants to go nowhere near a dentist. As for blogging under the influence (of dentist given drugs that is) I say go for it ... I believe I gave that a try after I came home high off of nitrous oxide. (Again dentist administered ...) Heh.

Tim ... I hope so too!!!

Orbling said...

Hmm :(

It's not long since you last had tooth trouble - did you tell your mouth you weren't due any discomfort and that it was grossly unfair?

I'm not a huge fan of tooth pain myself, especially the way it makes your ears hurt... Though for me the worst pain is caused by burns, can't handle those at all. Except, curiously, in my mouth - which I'm forever taking all the skin off... :S

We've found here that a decent benzocaine spray helps with tooth pain, although you can't beat cloves - though the taste is so intensely burning and horrible, I'd rather have the tooth pain.

Hope it dissipates shortly - I'll try and get it transferred over here...

KC said...

I still have a burn scar from childhood when I managed to drop an iron on my leg just above my ankle ...

Evidently I had been sitting on my bed ironing something when the phone rang, and in my eagerness to answer my Alvin and the Chipmunk phone before my sister could answer her Bear holding a cup of honey phone, I tipped the iron over and onto my leg.

One sizzling smell of skin later, I had an hour glass shaped burn on my leg that hurt beyond all reason.

Needless to say, I have a healthy fear of irons and don't iron anything if I don't have to. (Much to my Mother's chagrin, especially since she left me her iron on one of her last visits here.)

On another note, I think my teeth need to be put on a serious time out. Bad chompers!

Orbling said...

Ouchy, sounds unbearable. Given my hatred for burns, if that had happened to me I'd be on the verge of amputating the offending area to rid myself of the pain... :S

Mind you, kudos for the Alvin and the Chipmunks phone. Did it play a nice song? ;)

 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs