When The Apple Doesn't Fall Far From the Tree

My daughter is under the impression that life must be filled with little battles. Battles for control. Battles for the last word. Battles to eat candy at the crack of dawn and battles to prove that her Mother couldn't possibly know what she's talking about. And there are times when I'm quite convinced that my middle name should have been frustration and hers should have been stubborn to the core.

God forbid there should be a holiday that one could actually enjoy without garnering a headache long before noon instead of having to deal with the grumble and groans of a child who sometimes loses focus of the things she should be thankful for as she issues her complaints of "why isn't there more?"

When explanation fails to work, this Mother throws her hands up in the air and sends the child to her room, possibly under the misguided impression that time away from the situation just might bring clarity to light. And she reasons that it is far easier than trying to talk to a child whose hands clamp over her ears and whose chin is raised in oh so stubborn defiance. And yet there are moments when this Mom has to pinch herself to keep from laughing at the stupidity of it all and the daughter who finds herself knee deep in trouble over the silliest little bits of nonsense possible.

Stubbornness can be a good quality in moderation and one my daughter has yet to master in her quest to wield her power with something more than sheer determination, regardless of right and wrong. Lucky for her, her Mom is an old pro ... I only occasionally get in a snit fit over things that aren't worth it.

5 comments:

Orbling said...

I would laugh at it. It's a very good way to show someone how ridiculous they're being. Some things are just laughable after all.

The alternative strategy to the phrase "why isn't their more?", is to make there be less each time that is uttered. Common sense will eventually overtake stubborness.

Unless she is stubborn like I am. In which case you're doomed. ;)

[NB. She has inadvertently shown weakness there. A child that covers their ears when being reprimanded shows that the words effect them, possibly triggering guilt. [Note also raising chin to avoid the eyes.] This shows they care. Those that listen to you and don't give a hoot are more of a problem. A good sign. :)]

KC said...

I'm going to keep my fingers crossed that you're right ...

Good thing I'm in this whole motherhood thing for the long haul.

;)

Orbling said...

On this matter, I'm sure I'm right.

You always say she's a chip off the old block. Well in that case, she must have at least a small fraction of your care and compassion; that will come to the fore when really needed.

Parenthood is one-way entry - until the last breath.

KC said...

In that case, I'm going for guilt and disappointment ... My Mom used that on me and it always worked 100% of the time. Nothing I hate worse than disappointing my Mom.

Orbling said...

Ah, the master parenting technique...

My nan is a Jedi in that discipline, no one would ever dare upset her, works flawlessly.

I've studied the technique, it's not easy...

 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs